How far did the parachutist fall before hitting the water?

In summary, the problem involves a swimmer who hears a parachutist hitting the water and then the air, 1.0s later. The velocity of air is 340m/s and the velocity of water is 1400m/s. The question asks how far away from the swimmer did the impact occur, with the answer being 450m. To solve this, we can use the equation T_air x V_air = T_water x V_water, where T_air is the time it takes for the sound to travel through the air and T_water is the time it takes for the sound to travel through the water. We can then solve for T_air and use it to find the distance D.
samisoccer9
Problem: A swimmer sees a parachutist hit the water and hears the impact twice, once through the water and the second time through the air, 1.0s later. How far from the swimmer did the impact occur. Vs of air is 340m/s. Vs of water is 1400m/s and the answer in the book is 450m. 2. I know this is a simple rate question, except I cannot get it! VT = D3. I attempted to do VT = D and just sub in the velocity values for each, but it just gives you the same answer as the velocity of course.
ex of what i tried to do: 340m/s x 1s = D, D = 340m, doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
T isn't 1sec. It is T_air =T_water+ 1 sec.

How would you figure that out though?

It takes a certain amount of time to get to him through the water, let's call that T. Then he hears it one second later through the air...T+1.
Now you can use the fact that
##T_{air}V_{air} =D =T_{water}V_{water}##
to solve for T, and then just put it back into the equation to find D.

Sorry for troubling you but could you please solve it with numbers in a reply? I attempted to use the equation you just showed me but I am still stuck/unsuccessful. It would be greatly appreciated if you could, thanks.

##T_{air}=T_{water}+1##
Call ##T_{water}=T##
Then based only on the information you provided...
340(T+1) = D = 1400(T).
You don't need D right away, so you have to use algebra to solve for T in the equation:
340(T+1)= 1400(T).

Once you have T, multiply by 1400 to get D.

Likes samisoccer9

1. What is the definition of a wave?

A wave is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through space or matter, accompanied by a transfer of energy.

2. How is the speed of sound calculated?

The speed of sound is calculated by multiplying the frequency of the sound wave by its wavelength.

3. What factors affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound can be affected by the medium it is traveling through, temperature, and humidity. In general, sound travels faster in denser mediums and at higher temperatures.

4. How does the speed of sound compare in different mediums?

The speed of sound is fastest in solids, followed by liquids, and then gases. This is because the molecules in solids are closer together and can transmit sound faster.

5. Can the speed of sound be exceeded?

Yes, the speed of sound can be exceeded in certain mediums, such as through a vacuum or in materials with a higher elasticity than air, such as steel. This is known as supersonic speed.