1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves with slinky~!

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    waves and sound

I have some questions about transverse and longitudinal waves...
    In transverse wave, how does the amplitude of the waves affect its speed? we did a lab with a slinky but it was hard to see if it went faster or slower...
    Also, how does the tension of the spring change its speed? I think i noticed the pulse going faster when the slinky was tenser but... why does it do that?
    And in longitudinal waves... when you move your hand back and forth quickly at a uniform frequency with the slinky, what happens to the motion of each coils?
    Lastly, how many complete vibration of your hand do u think is need to produce one compression and one rarefaction? I just don't quite understand what it means by hand vibrations...;;
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2
    This would likely be one back and forth of your hand, as you send one pulse (either transverse or longitudinal) down the slinky.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?