1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Way to create graphics in C++

1. Sep 9, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

Is there a way to create graphics in C++. or in some other language, and I can use the grphic file in the C++ source code?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

also, how could I put a code with another language in the middle of a C++ document?

4. Sep 9, 2005 #3
    If you're using Windows, you could use the GDI through the Windows API or through the MFC classes, or you could use DirectX or OpenGL for 3D high-speed graphics. You could also use any number of available libraries, SDL for example. In Linux, you're gonna have to go through the X libraries (not recommended). Probably you should use some toolkit, like the Qt libraries. For 3d graphics, you can use OpenGL, or OpenGL + SDL (thats what I use).
    Also, I don't get what you mean by embedded another language into a C++ document. If you mean whether you can embed code from another language into a C++ source file, then no, unless you translate it to C++, because the compiler only compiles C/C++ and not any other language. However, most compilers do support some form of embedded assembly language. The MSVC compiler uses the "__asm" keyword I believe. In gcc/g++ it would be asm("...")

5. Sep 9, 2005 #4
    you can embed matlab too apparently.

6. Sep 9, 2005 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

cefarix, your going a little overboard.

If you simply want to create and edit images then use this:

http://www.boutell.com/gd/

7. Sep 9, 2005 #6
    Ah, sorry. I missed the part where he said "or any other language." I thought he wanted to do it via C++ only ...

8. Sep 9, 2005 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You mean she. Also GD is written in C so it works with C++.

9. Sep 10, 2005 #8
    Why not do some really enjoyable stuff with graphics and play some games?
    Try allegro
    http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

Its enjoyable and easy to play around with (well atleast i found it easy to play around it, so i may be generalising a bit too much here). There are lots of demos to help you around.

-- AI

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?