1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ways to place molecules

1. Aug 26, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I'm not quite sure about this question:

'How many Ways can 6 distinguishable molecules be placed in 3 different energy levels with 3 molecules in the 1st level, 2 in the 2nd level and 1 in the 3rd level, ignoring energy required?'

If it was just how many ways to place them in 3 different levels it would be easy but how to always keep 3 molecules in the first, 2 in the 2nd and 1 in the first confuses me.

I know that the number of Ways is less than before and I'm thinking along the lines of having to divide the number obtained if it was just 3 different energy levels, by 3!2!1! (the number of molecules in each level). This gives: W=10 which I think is very wrong!

Any help appreciated!

:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take a slightly more general question:

How many ways can N numbered balls be grouped into three sets such that the first group contains [itex]n_1[/itex] balls, the second set [itex]n_2[/itex] balls and the third set [itex]N-n_1-n_2[/itex] balls?

Hint: How many ways are there to choose the first set? After that, in how many ways can you choose the second set?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?