1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

We are using TI-83 to figure out how to make an equation with a word problem. QuadReg

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A manufacturing company finds that it makes a profit of $20.00 on each article if 600 or fewer are made each week. The profit decreased by 2 cents per article over 600. How many additional articles should be produced per week in order to realized the maximum point?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    20y - 0.02y

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: We are using TI-83 to figure out how to make an equation with a word problem. Qua

Is y equal the amount of production over 600 units? If so, you should say it, and not assume that the person marking your work is a mind-reader.

Doesn't 20y - 0.02y = 19.98y just keep increasing forever as y increases? Your formula just keeps the profit fixed at $19.98 per unit produced; that is not what the question said.

RGV

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    Re: We are using TI-83 to figure out how to make an equation with a word problem. Qua

Oh, im confused i just typed EXACTLY what the question said, my teacher probably made a mistake but do you think you could solve it anyway cuz i have no clue what this means

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What the teacher typed is clear and correct. The issue is what YOU typed, which is incorrect. And, yes, I can solve it, but the point is for YOU to solve it, or at least to make a start.

Here are a couple of hints: what it the profit on item 601? What is the profit on item 602? On item 603? Keep going like that, and try to represent the result by a formula.

RGV

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  6. Sep 26, 2012 #5

i Know how to do that, but it takes a long time. how do i make the equation

7. Sep 26, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I asked you three questions (about items 601, 602 and 603). What are your answers?

As for getting an equation: that is the problem you need to solve. I am not allowed to give any more hints; it is up to you now.

RGV

8. Sep 26, 2012 #7

EUREKA, i got it the answer is 200 more because the equ'n is -50x square plus 1600. thank you so much

9. Sep 26, 2012 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's not the way it works on Physics Forums. From the rules (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380):

10. Sep 26, 2012 #9

oh ok, im sorry today is my first day on this website and this is probably gonna be the only time i use it but thank you Mark and Ray

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook