Record-Breaking: Most Users Online (75) on 09-18-2003 at 04:51 PM

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Most users ever online was 382 on 11-17-2003 at 09:16 PM.In summary, the conversation discusses the increase in traffic on the Physics Forums website, with record numbers of users online and an influx of new members. Some speculate that this may be due to a newsletter or the indexing of the site by Google. There is also a discussion about the change in the community dynamic with the increase in traffic.
Most users ever online was 75 on 09-18-2003 at 04:51 PM.

It would be fun to plan a time that everyone could jump on PF and we could have like a record of 1000 members on the board at once.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, until the board crashes. Then it's not so neat. Ah well, it's a good thing this board isn't running the good old UBB software.

A new record!

There are currently 31 members and 49 guests on the boards. | Most users ever online was 80 on 09-18-2003 at 04:34 PM

Most users ever online was 90 on 09-18-2003 at 08:06 PM.

I wonder why the traffic all of a sudden exploded!

Perhaps the newsletter?

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Most users ever online was 90 on 09-18-2003 at 08:06 PM.

I wonder why the traffic all of a sudden exploded!
Probably too much hype!

Looks like a very positive response to the new format, huh?

Most users ever online was 145 on 09-23-2003 at 09:18 PM.

Originally posted by Tom
Most users ever online was 145 on 09-23-2003 at 09:18 PM.

Glorious, looks like we're finally over our hump. We had an average of 30 people online for almost a year.

There seem to be quite a number of folk who were 'regulars' at superstringtheory.com, and who are now posting regularly here. Some have different names.

Originally posted by Nereid
There seem to be quite a number of folk who were 'regulars' at superstringtheory.com, and who are now posting regularly here. Some have different names.

Good good, how can you tell if they have different names? Is that where you are from?

It would be fun to plan a time that everyone could jump on PF and we could have like a record of 1000 members on the board at once.

YEAH, let's do it ...

and 8 hours later, it was up to 162

WOW

That Operation Tips is really working wonders !

....and I was in on it, WOHOOOOO!

an amazing forum!

;)

Originally posted by spookz
an amazing forum!
;)

Welcome spookz, sciforums not treating you well?

Oh what a relief compared to sciforums!

nuts
i suspect fake logins, tampering with code, etc

Most users ever online was 181 on 10-21-2003 at 01:23 PM.

Would have been higher, if I could have gotten on! I think we have hit a limit.

I think I was online then during dinner time at school. However I'm running on GMT time, so how many hours behind GMT are you?

Most users ever online was 185 on 10-21-2003 at 04:15 PM

We beat that record greg posted mere hours later.

Would have been higher, if I could have gotten on! I think we have hit a limit.

hehe I don't think so :wink:

Originally posted by lavalamp
I think I was online then during dinner time at school. However I'm running on GMT time, so how many hours behind GMT are you?
They are talking in US Central Time, that is -6 GMT :)

Well in that case it was 22:15 where I was and I think I was online then. I came home from Badminton about 21:30 and spent the rest of the night online.

Nop, 213 on 10-26-2003 at 10:30 PM (GMT+1) :P
220 on 10-27-2003 at 12:36 AM :D

Last edited:
Greg, you know relativity theory?

It would be nice to include the reference frame

<h2>1. What does "Record-Breaking: Most Users Online" mean?</h2><p>It means that on September 18, 2003 at 04:51 PM, there were 75 users online at the same time, which was the highest number ever recorded.</p><h2>2. How was the record for most users online determined?</h2><p>The record was determined by tracking the number of users who were logged into a specific website or online platform at the same time. This information is typically collected and recorded by the website or platform's server.</p><h2>3. Has the record for most users online been broken since 2003?</h2><p>Yes, the record has been broken multiple times since 2003. With the increasing popularity of the internet and social media, it is common for websites to have higher numbers of users online at the same time.</p><h2>4. What factors contribute to a high number of users online at the same time?</h2><p>A high number of users online can be influenced by various factors such as a popular event or promotion, a major news story, or a technical issue causing a surge in traffic. It can also depend on the popularity and reach of the website or platform itself.</p><h2>5. Is the record for most users online significant in the scientific community?</h2><p>While the record for most users online may not be a significant topic in the scientific community, it can be a measure of the impact and reach of a website or platform. It can also be used as a way to analyze internet usage trends and patterns.</p>

1. What does "Record-Breaking: Most Users Online" mean?

It means that on September 18, 2003 at 04:51 PM, there were 75 users online at the same time, which was the highest number ever recorded.

2. How was the record for most users online determined?

The record was determined by tracking the number of users who were logged into a specific website or online platform at the same time. This information is typically collected and recorded by the website or platform's server.

3. Has the record for most users online been broken since 2003?

Yes, the record has been broken multiple times since 2003. With the increasing popularity of the internet and social media, it is common for websites to have higher numbers of users online at the same time.

4. What factors contribute to a high number of users online at the same time?

A high number of users online can be influenced by various factors such as a popular event or promotion, a major news story, or a technical issue causing a surge in traffic. It can also depend on the popularity and reach of the website or platform itself.

5. Is the record for most users online significant in the scientific community?

While the record for most users online may not be a significant topic in the scientific community, it can be a measure of the impact and reach of a website or platform. It can also be used as a way to analyze internet usage trends and patterns.