We call L the limit of f(x) as x

• Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
Best of luck with your work!In summary, a limit is defined as the value a function approaches as its input approaches a certain point (such as infinity or negative infinity). Epsilon and delta are variables used in the limit definition to represent the "gap" or distance between the function output and the limit value. In order for the limit to exist, for every epsilon (gap), there must be a corresponding delta (distance) such that whenever the input is within that distance, the function output will be within the gap (epsilon). L'Hopital's Rule is a useful tool for finding limits in more complicated cases.
cscott
Definition

We call L the limit of f(x) as x approaches [itex]\infty[/itex] if for every number ε > 0 there exists a δ; such that whenever x > δ we have

[tex]\left| f(x) - L \right| < \epsilon[/tex]

When this holds we write

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) = L[/tex]

or

[tex]f(x) \to L \quad as \quad x \to \infty.[/tex]

Similarly, we call L the limit of f(x) as x approaches [itex]-\infty[/itex] if for every number ε > 0, there exists a number δ such that whenever x < δ we have

[tex]\left| f(x) - L \right| < \epsilon[/tex]

When this holds we write

[tex]\lim_{x \to -\infty} f(x) = L[/tex]

or

[tex]f(x) \to L \quad as \quad x \to -\infty.[/tex]

Notice the difference in these two definitions. For the limit of f(x) as x approaches [itex]\infty[/itex] we are interested in those x such that x > δ. For the limit of f(x) as x approaches [itex]-\infty[/itex] we are interested in those x such that x < δ.

What is δ that they keep referring to in this definition? They first bring it up as if it's some quantity I'm supposed to know... maybe I'm just crazy :)

Physics news on Phys.org
They don't stand for antghing in particular in this situation, they are just variables (which could be replaced by any other ones) with the loose definitions given to them above. When I first did limits the epsilons and deltas threw me off too.

Do you understand how they're used in the limit definition?

Suppose the limit exists, what it says is: Given [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], there exists SOME number, such that whenever x is greater than that number, you have[itex]|f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/itex].
It's just convenient to name that number and they chose to name it [itex]\delta[/itex].

Example: [itex]\lim_{x\to \infty} 1/x=0[/itex]
since given [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] we can find a number [itex]\delta[/itex], such that [itex]x>\delta \Rightarrow |1/x|<\epsilon[/itex]. Pick [itex]\delta=1/\epsilon[/itex], then for any [itex]x>\delta=1/\epsilon[/itex] we have [itex]|1/x|<|1/\delta|=\epsilon[/itex].

Last edited:
How about this analogy:

For any real number N, there exists a real number M such that M > N.

Do you understand the meaning of N and M in this?

Differentiation Problem

I accidently posted in the wrong place, please forgive me.

Last edited:
cscott said:
What is δ that they keep referring to in this definition? They first bring it up as if it's some quantity I'm supposed to know... maybe I'm just crazy :)

Short answer: δ is the "run" portion of slope.

Limits are simple once you think of them as rise over run. Epsilon is rise, delta (δ) is run.

The classic assingments are usually of the form that the book will give you an epsilon, and you have to find the corresponding delta (at some given point on a curve). Given what I have just said, you can now think of it this way: they give you a rise, you give the corresponding run. They give you an e, you give them a δ -- where δ is "run".

I don't know of an easier way to think of it!

Epsilon-delta and limits

I have finally begun to understand the relationship between epsilon and delta. I can pretty much now use the delta-epsilon method to prove limits. The (ironic) problem, for me, now is that I'm having trouble finidng the limits! Can anyone offer a bit of advice or, maybe, direct me to a site on which I can practice some problems?

If anyone is having problems understanding the epsilon-delta relationship, I'll bge happy to try to explain my way of understanding it, if that would help.

Thanks for all your help, I understand it better now.

dishuwen said:
The (ironic) problem, for me, now is that I'm having trouble finidng the limits!

There are many things to say in answer to this; I will alert you to one of my favorites: L'Hopital's Rule. Learn the mechanics of it here:

http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/lhopital/

Given what you have asked so far, I suspect the problems you are working on now will not require this knowledge, but there you have it...

1. What does "limit of f(x) as x" mean?

The limit of f(x) as x refers to the value that a function approaches as the input variable (x) approaches a specific value or "limit". It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular point.

2. How is the limit of f(x) as x calculated?

The limit of f(x) as x is calculated by evaluating the function at values of x that are increasingly closer to the given limit. This can be done algebraically or graphically, and the result is the value that the function approaches as x gets closer and closer to the limit.

3. Why is the limit of a function important?

The limit of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function at a particular point and can inform us about the overall behavior of the function. It is also a crucial concept in calculus, as it is used to calculate derivatives and integrals.

4. Can a function have a limit at a point where it is not defined?

Yes, a function can have a limit at a point where it is not defined. This is known as a removable discontinuity or a hole in the graph. In this case, the limit of the function at that point is equal to the value that can be "filled in" to make the function continuous.

5. How is the limit of a function different from its value at a particular point?

The limit of a function is different from its value at a particular point because the limit describes the behavior of the function as x approaches a specific value, while the value at a point refers to the actual output of the function at that point. In some cases, the limit and the value at a point may be the same, but in others, they can be different.