Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

We can't know the velocity and position of a particle accurately ?

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    i was wondering, if we can arrange this kind of experiment.... What we do is this, we send photons (or whatever u choose) directly opposite to each other of which the energy is exactly the same such that if there is nothing is in their path the would anihialate each other.

Now, if something was in their path although... the following would happen.....

We have two photons lets name them 1 and 2. Now, we know where the atom is so we position both the phtons equidistant from each other. Photon 1 and 2 hits the electron at the same time and therefore there is no change in the position of the particle.

Even if there is as in if 1 hits first and then 2 although we might have displaced it we know its present position now thanks to diffrence in wavelength of the photons.

And with another pair we can set it back to its original place. So in essence there should be no change in their position and we should be able to calculate the velocity in the same way, right...?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2
    "we know where the atom is"
    "we position both the phtons equidistant from each other"
    "Photon 1 and 2 hits the electron at the same time"

Think about all these assumptions in your thought experiment:)

4. Jan 26, 2005 #3
    good point :)

but how abt this, i changed it....

i was wondering, if we can arrange this kind of experiment.... What we do is this, we
    send photons (or whatever u choose) directly opposite to each other of which the energy is exactly the same such that if there is nothing is in their path the would anihialate each other.

Now, if something was in their path although... the following would happen.....

We have two photons lets name them 1 and 2. Now, we send these little critters oppsoing to each other. Photon 1 and 2 hits the electron one at one time and the other a few milli or whatever seconds later. Now whatever extra energy is brought abt by 1, it will be cancelled by 2 and now we know the new position which we can calculate by knowing the diffrence in wavelength between 1 and 2 and we can also calculate it's velocity at the same time, kind of like the way we calculate the velocity of bloodflow...

And with another pair of our guys we can set the particle back to its original place. So in essence there should be no change in their position and we should be able to calculate the velocity in the same way, right...?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  5. Jan 26, 2005 #4
    Yer still doing it ;)

Remember that heisenberg's uncertainty applies to time and energy as well.

6. Jan 27, 2005 #5
    i always thought that we knew the exact energy of the particles we willingly send out for experimentation.

So do i take it that u are telling me that we don't know the exact energy of the particles of that we send out?.....

oh well it was worth a shot....

thx... :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?