We can't sell Oil to the Chinese

  • #1
The Smoking Man
47
0
We can't sell Oil to the Chinese ...

because it is a National Security comodity ... BUT ...

CNET

Lenovo will resell blade desktop systems from ClearCube Technologies as the Chinese giant kicks off its effort to woo the international set.

Under the deal, the two companies will cooperate to sell ClearCube's blade systems, initially to the customers Lenovo acquired when it bought IBM's PC unit. The units sold by Lenovo will bear ClearCube's brand. IBM Global Services already resells ClearCube desktop systems.

...

Putting the PCs in a rack cuts support and real estate costs, according to Raj Shah, chief marketing officer of ClearCube. Several financial firms and branches of the military have installed the company's computers. (The North American Aerospace Defense Command uses them to scan the sky for incoming missiles.)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So ... What's that again?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Computer manufacturer Dell has been manufacturing PCs in China for the Chinese market for the past 5 years.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/ap/corporate/en/pressoffice/2003/ap/2003_09_29_cn_000?c=ap&l=en&s=gen [Broken]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3
Anttech
228
0
So the american Goverment is using china made servers for air defence? lol
 
  • #4
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
I'm still lost as to what is going on here. You know... i can do exactly what Norad does with my little pentium 4 here at my home. Itd be really slow and i also do not have the radar equipment... but any computer can do what this rackmount setup can do if that's what your forgetting.
 
  • #5
The Smoking Man
47
0
Pengwuino said:
I'm still lost as to what is going on here. You know... i can do exactly what Norad does with my little pentium 4 here at my home. Itd be really slow and i also do not have the radar equipment... but any computer can do what this rackmount setup can do if that's what your forgetting.
Not a fan of irony, are you? :biggrin:
 
  • #6
quetzalcoatl9
537
1
The Smoking Man said:
So ... What's that again?

So, I guess that you are saying that NORAD shouldn't buy equipment from China? Or are you trying to use this as an example of how NORAD should buy equipment from China? I'm confused as to the exact source of the implied sarcasm.
 
  • #7
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
The Smoking Man said:
Not a fan of irony, are you? :biggrin:

Im an OK fan but this isn't really ironic... or well, i don't consider things ironic if they happen on large scales. Countries that don't really like each other buy and sell things in the private sector. I will however make it a point on this computer forum i go to that our #1 enemy buys Intel hehehe.

"Communists want Intel, are you a traitor? Buy AMD!"
 
  • #8
quetzalcoatl9 said:
So, I guess that you are saying that NORAD shouldn't buy equipment from China? Or are you trying to use this as an example of how NORAD should buy equipment from China? I'm confused as to the exact source of the implied sarcasm.
To me this sounds like confusion(n)=Sarcasm(3) with n = any number of data to be processed. But maybe I'm just cynical(2)
 
  • #9
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
Mercator said:
To me this sounds like confusion(n)=Sarcasm(3) with n = any number of data to be processed. But maybe I'm just cynical(2)

You need more RAM
 
  • #10
quetzalcoatl9
537
1
Mercator said:
To me this sounds like confusion(n)=Sarcasm(3) with n = any number of data to be processed. But maybe I'm just cynical(2)

That's cute.

Can you prove your statement true for [tex]\forall n \epsilon N[/tex] ?

Maybe you just need to make your point a little more clear. Without hearing your response, I will assume that you don't want NORAD to buy chinese military products.
 
  • #11
Assume as you wish. How much is the RAM per KG?
 
  • #12
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
Retail, $50 but i can get it to you for $40
 
  • #13
Pengwuino said:
Im an OK fan but this isn't really ironic... or well, i don't consider things ironic if they happen on large scales. Countries that don't really like each other buy and sell things in the private sector. I will however make it a point on this computer forum i go to that our #1 enemy buys Intel hehehe.

"Communists want Intel, are you a traitor? Buy AMD!"
Hey, you should report to GW that you found them. He's been looking for them sooooo long.
 
  • #14
quetzalcoatl9
537
1
quetzalcoatl9 said:
Without hearing your response, I will assume that you don't want NORAD to buy chinese military products.

Mercator said:
Assume as you wish.

I happen to agree with you.

These computers are a national security commodity, and should not be bought from China. Thank you for pointing out the inconsistency of the US defense purchasing policy, so that it may hopefully be corrected in the future. As anything with government, often times one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing, and any opportunity to point that out is welcome.
 
  • #15
Pengwuino said:
Retail, $50 but i can get it to you for $40
Rep Preformatted huh? How about virgin mem?
 
  • #16
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
Mercator said:
How about virgin mem?

Sorry, i don't sell such hard to find equipment.
 
  • #17
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
quetzalcoatl9 said:
These computers are a national security commodity, and should not be bought from China. Thank you for pointing out the inconsistency of the US defense purchasing policy, so that it may hopefully be corrected in the future. As anything with government, often times one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing, and any opportunity to point that out is welcome.

Im still lost, what does buying a rackmount server have to do national security? If it works it works. Half the crap in my computer was probably built in Mexico but it doesn't violate my belief in immigration policy in my opinion...
 
  • #18
sid_galt
502
1
Pengwuino said:
Im still lost, what does buying a rackmount server have to do national security? If it works it works. Half the crap in my computer was probably built in Mexico but it doesn't violate my belief in immigration policy in my opinion...

Because the Chinese can very well sell bad computers to DOD or even put microphones in them. Hopefully, a complete checkup of the computers is done once it arrives in America.
 
  • #19
quetzalcoatl9 said:
I happen to agree with you.

These computers are a national security commodity, and should not be bought from China. Thank you for pointing out the inconsistency of the US defense purchasing policy, so that it may hopefully be corrected in the future. As anything with government, often times one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing, and any opportunity to point that out is welcome.
Thanks and sleep softly in the knowledge that your supreme leader has nothing but your wellbeing in mind.
 
  • #20
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
sid_galt said:
Because the Chinese can very well sell bad computers to DOD or even put microphones in them. Hopefully, a complete checkup of the computers is done once it arrives in America.

I highly doubt they can sneak a transmitter into NORAD plus have it actually work. And what goods a microphone? Humming of the servers will drown anything out. Whats more worrying is some sort of data-capture and transmission software bug being hidden... but you'd assume they'd make sure to check for this kinda stuff.

And upon further review, we're reselling them? Sounds like lower risk but ... we're buying used stuff?
 
  • #21
sid_galt said:
Because the Chinese can very well sell bad computers to DOD or even put microphones in them. Hopefully, a complete checkup of the computers is done once it arrives in America.
Check the steam valve, my ayi(=domestic assistant) always puts too much water in the steam iron, making messy files.
 
  • #22
Mercator said:
Check the steam valve, my ayi(=domestic assistant) always puts too much water in the steam iron, making messy files.
My aiyi "asks" me to correct my mistake: she is not a "domestic assistant but a "familial manager". My bad.
 
  • #23
quetzalcoatl9
537
1
Pengwuino said:
I highly doubt they can sneak a transmitter into NORAD plus have it actually work. And what goods a microphone? Humming of the servers will drown anything out. Whats more worrying is some sort of data-capture and transmission software bug being hidden... but you'd assume they'd make sure to check for this kinda stuff.

I wouldn't be so sure of this Pengwuino, there are many interesting stories about how the US and USSR bugged each other in innovative ways.

Modern DSPs would have no problem getting rid of symmetric noise.
 

Suggested for: We can't sell Oil to the Chinese

Replies
17
Views
497
  • Last Post
2
Replies
38
Views
2K
Replies
8
Views
713
Replies
5
Views
227
Replies
26
Views
577
Replies
12
Views
760
Replies
15
Views
307
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
325
Top