Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

We can't sell Oil to the Chinese

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1
    We can't sell Oil to the Chinese ....

because it is a National Security comodity ... BUT ...

CNET

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So ... What's that again??? :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2

Art

4. Jul 12, 2005 #3
    So the american Goverment is using china made servers for air defence? lol

5. Jul 12, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm still lost as to what is going on here. You know... i can do exactly what Norad does with my little pentium 4 here at my home. Itd be really slow and i also do not have the radar equipment... but any computer can do what this rackmount setup can do if thats what your forgetting.

6. Jul 12, 2005 #5
    Not a fan of irony, are you? :biggrin:

7. Jul 12, 2005 #6
    So, I guess that you are saying that NORAD shouldn't buy equipment from China? Or are you trying to use this as an example of how NORAD should buy equipment from China? I'm confused as to the exact source of the implied sarcasm.

8. Jul 12, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Im an OK fan but this isnt really ironic... or well, i dont consider things ironic if they happen on large scales. Countries that dont really like eachother buy and sell things in the private sector. I will however make it a point on this computer forum i go to that our #1 enemy buys Intel hehehe.

"Communists want Intel, are you a traitor? Buy AMD!"

9. Jul 12, 2005 #8
    To me this sounds like confusion(n)=Sarcasm(3) with n = any number of data to be processed. But maybe I'm just cynical(2)

10. Jul 12, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You need more RAM

11. Jul 12, 2005 #10
    That's cute.

Can you prove your statement true for [tex]\forall n \epsilon N[/tex] ?

Maybe you just need to make your point a little more clear. Without hearing your response, I will assume that you don't want NORAD to buy chinese military products.

12. Jul 12, 2005 #11
    Assume as you wish. How much is the RAM per KG?

13. Jul 12, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Retail, $50 but i can get it to you for $40

14. Jul 12, 2005 #13
    Hey, you should report to GW that you found them. He's been looking for them sooooo long.

15. Jul 12, 2005 #14
    I happen to agree with you.

These computers are a national security commodity, and should not be bought from China. Thank you for pointing out the inconsistency of the US defense purchasing policy, so that it may hopefully be corrected in the future. As anything with government, often times one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing, and any opportunity to point that out is welcome.

16. Jul 12, 2005 #15
    Rep Preformatted huh? How about virgin mem?

17. Jul 12, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Sorry, i dont sell such hard to find equipment.

18. Jul 12, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Im still lost, what does buying a rackmount server have to do national security? If it works it works. Half the crap in my computer was probably built in Mexico but it doesnt violate my belief in immigration policy in my opinion...

19. Jul 12, 2005 #18
    Because the Chinese can very well sell bad computers to DOD or even put microphones in them. Hopefully, a complete checkup of the computers is done once it arrives in America.

20. Jul 12, 2005 #19
    Thanks and sleep softly in the knowledge that your supreme leader has nothing but your wellbeing in mind.

21. Jul 12, 2005 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I highly doubt they can sneak a transmitter into NORAD plus have it actually work. And what goods a microphone? Humming of the servers will drown anything out. Whats more worrying is some sort of data-capture and transmission software bug being hidden... but you'd assume they'd make sure to check for this kinda stuff.

And upon further review, we're reselling them? Sounds like lower risk but ... we're buying used stuff????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?