We can't sell Oil to the Chinese

• News
  • Thread starter The Smoking Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, Lenovo and ClearCube have made a deal to sell blade systems to international customers, including those acquired from IBM. These systems will bear ClearCube's brand and are said to cut support and real estate costs. However, there have been concerns about the security implications of purchasing these systems from China. While some argue that if it works, it works, others believe that buying a national security commodity from a potentially hostile country is not a wise decision.
The Smoking Man
We can't sell Oil to the Chinese ...

because it is a National Security comodity ... BUT ...

CNET

Lenovo will resell blade desktop systems from ClearCube Technologies as the Chinese giant kicks off its effort to woo the international set.

Under the deal, the two companies will cooperate to sell ClearCube's blade systems, initially to the customers Lenovo acquired when it bought IBM's PC unit. The units sold by Lenovo will bear ClearCube's brand. IBM Global Services already resells ClearCube desktop systems.

Putting the PCs in a rack cuts support and real estate costs, according to Raj Shah, chief marketing officer of ClearCube. Several financial firms and branches of the military have installed the company's computers. (The North American Aerospace Defense Command uses them to scan the sky for incoming missiles.)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So ... What's that again?

Physics news on Phys.org
Computer manufacturer Dell has been manufacturing PCs in China for the Chinese market for the past 5 years.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/ap/corporate/en/pressoffice/2003/ap/2003_09_29_cn_000?c=ap&l=en&s=gen [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
So the american Goverment is using china made servers for air defence? lol

I'm still lost as to what is going on here. You know... i can do exactly what Norad does with my little pentium 4 here at my home. Itd be really slow and i also do not have the radar equipment... but any computer can do what this rackmount setup can do if that's what your forgetting.

Pengwuino said:
I'm still lost as to what is going on here. You know... i can do exactly what Norad does with my little pentium 4 here at my home. Itd be really slow and i also do not have the radar equipment... but any computer can do what this rackmount setup can do if that's what your forgetting.
Not a fan of irony, are you? :biggrin:

The Smoking Man said:
So ... What's that again?

So, I guess that you are saying that NORAD shouldn't buy equipment from China? Or are you trying to use this as an example of how NORAD should buy equipment from China? I'm confused as to the exact source of the implied sarcasm.

The Smoking Man said:
Not a fan of irony, are you? :biggrin:

Im an OK fan but this isn't really ironic... or well, i don't consider things ironic if they happen on large scales. Countries that don't really like each other buy and sell things in the private sector. I will however make it a point on this computer forum i go to that our #1 enemy buys Intel hehehe.

"Communists want Intel, are you a traitor? Buy AMD!"

quetzalcoatl9 said:
So, I guess that you are saying that NORAD shouldn't buy equipment from China? Or are you trying to use this as an example of how NORAD should buy equipment from China? I'm confused as to the exact source of the implied sarcasm.
To me this sounds like confusion(n)=Sarcasm(3) with n = any number of data to be processed. But maybe I'm just cynical(2)

Mercator said:
To me this sounds like confusion(n)=Sarcasm(3) with n = any number of data to be processed. But maybe I'm just cynical(2)

You need more RAM

Mercator said:

That's cute.

Can you prove your statement true for [tex]\forall n \epsilon N[/tex] ?

Maybe you just need to make your point a little more clear. Without hearing your response, I will assume that you don't want NORAD to buy chinese military products.

Assume as you wish. How much is the RAM per KG?

Retail, $50 but i can get it to you for $40

Pengwuino said:
Im an OK fan but this isn't really ironic... or well, i don't consider things ironic if they happen on large scales. Countries that don't really like each other buy and sell things in the private sector. I will however make it a point on this computer forum i go to that our #1 enemy buys Intel hehehe.

"Communists want Intel, are you a traitor? Buy AMD!"
Hey, you should report to GW that you found them. He's been looking for them sooooo long.

quetzalcoatl9 said:
Without hearing your response, I will assume that you don't want NORAD to buy chinese military products.

Mercator said:
Assume as you wish.

I happen to agree with you.

These computers are a national security commodity, and should not be bought from China. Thank you for pointing out the inconsistency of the US defense purchasing policy, so that it may hopefully be corrected in the future. As anything with government, often times one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing, and any opportunity to point that out is welcome.

Pengwuino said:
Retail, $50 but i can get it to you for $40
Rep Preformatted huh? How about virgin mem?

Mercator said:
How about virgin mem?

Sorry, i don't sell such hard to find equipment.

quetzalcoatl9 said:
These computers are a national security commodity, and should not be bought from China. Thank you for pointing out the inconsistency of the US defense purchasing policy, so that it may hopefully be corrected in the future. As anything with government, often times one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing, and any opportunity to point that out is welcome.

Im still lost, what does buying a rackmount server have to do national security? If it works it works. Half the crap in my computer was probably built in Mexico but it doesn't violate my belief in immigration policy in my opinion...

Pengwuino said:
Im still lost, what does buying a rackmount server have to do national security? If it works it works. Half the crap in my computer was probably built in Mexico but it doesn't violate my belief in immigration policy in my opinion...

Because the Chinese can very well sell bad computers to DOD or even put microphones in them. Hopefully, a complete checkup of the computers is done once it arrives in America.

quetzalcoatl9 said:
I happen to agree with you.

Thanks and sleep softly in the knowledge that your supreme leader has nothing but your wellbeing in mind.

sid_galt said:
Because the Chinese can very well sell bad computers to DOD or even put microphones in them. Hopefully, a complete checkup of the computers is done once it arrives in America.

I highly doubt they can sneak a transmitter into NORAD plus have it actually work. And what goods a microphone? Humming of the servers will drown anything out. Whats more worrying is some sort of data-capture and transmission software bug being hidden... but you'd assume they'd make sure to check for this kinda stuff.

And upon further review, we're reselling them? Sounds like lower risk but ... we're buying used stuff?

sid_galt said:
Check the steam valve, my ayi(=domestic assistant) always puts too much water in the steam iron, making messy files.

Mercator said:
Check the steam valve, my ayi(=domestic assistant) always puts too much water in the steam iron, making messy files.
My aiyi "asks" me to correct my mistake: she is not a "domestic assistant but a "familial manager". My bad.

Pengwuino said:
I highly doubt they can sneak a transmitter into NORAD plus have it actually work. And what goods a microphone? Humming of the servers will drown anything out. Whats more worrying is some sort of data-capture and transmission software bug being hidden... but you'd assume they'd make sure to check for this kinda stuff.

I wouldn't be so sure of this Pengwuino, there are many interesting stories about how the US and USSR bugged each other in innovative ways.

Modern DSPs would have no problem getting rid of symmetric noise.

1. Why can't we sell oil to the Chinese?

The sale of oil to China is restricted due to political and economic reasons. The United States has imposed sanctions on certain countries, including China, which restrict the export of oil to them.

2. What are the implications of not being able to sell oil to China?

The restriction on selling oil to China can have significant implications on both the US and Chinese economy. It can impact the supply and demand of oil globally, leading to fluctuations in oil prices. It can also strain the relationship between the two countries and potentially lead to trade disputes.

3. How does the restriction on selling oil to China affect the environment?

The restriction on selling oil to China can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it can reduce the consumption of fossil fuels, which can help mitigate climate change. On the other hand, it can also lead to an increase in illegal and unregulated oil trading, which can have adverse effects on the environment.

4. Is there any way to lift the restriction on selling oil to China?

The restriction on selling oil to China can only be lifted if the US government decides to remove the sanctions on China or if there is a change in the political climate between the two countries. This decision ultimately lies with the government and can be influenced by various factors such as international relations and trade agreements.

5. How does the restriction on selling oil to China impact the global oil market?

The restriction on selling oil to China can have a significant impact on the global oil market. China is one of the largest consumers of oil, and any restriction on its demand can lead to a decrease in oil prices. This can also affect other countries that rely on oil exports, as they may have to find alternative markets for their oil.

Back