Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

We die because we are no longer ourselves.

1. Mar 9, 2004 #1
    We are no longer the body, mind, blood. We are at birth, or mid life, when we are old. This is why we die. I can say, if Einstein lived to now. His mind would be different from the mind he had when he was young and healthy. So, it seems we die because we lose what we are.

If knowledge in the genes is discovered. We may find a way to stay ourselves (young/alive).

I think this is not being considered in medicine right now ? Knowledge being our vitality.

Is there any concept in medicine to keep the information contained in a young body from being forgotten, or experiencing entropy ?

This is just conjecture. I don't know medicine at all. But what's your opinion on what I said ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

This is just youthful ignorance. I am old(70) and still myself. I have a lot more of myself to enjoy and ponder now than I did when I was young.

4. Mar 9, 2004 #3

Janitor

Science Advisor

The mathematician and philosopher Bertrand Russell is said to have had an agile mind right up into his 90s.

5. Mar 10, 2004 #4
    Youth in perspective

A 700-year-old may look at your first statement and see it as having two meanings.

-Chris

6. Mar 10, 2004 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'll let you know when I'm 700

7. Mar 16, 2004 #6
    the reason we die is..we are not smart enough to stop it.but the more smarter we get,the more we fill in and the more we think...and the harder it would be to control your mind.so your mindpowers good,but you should control it by doing things or getting yourself a nice life.
    im writing this to you but mostly to myself.

8. Mar 27, 2004 #7
    did you gain weight? :-)

9. Mar 27, 2004 #8
    people die because cells stop dividing at a programed time based on the gene tip length ( I forget what they are called)

anyway, after a time, you begin getting old because the cells that are regenerating are "not of as high a quality" as the cells from your youth, and at one point, cells in an organ just can not divided and repair damage, so you get weakening artery walls in the brain or an aorta wall that has thinned, or lungs that cannot longer bring in a sufficient supply of oxygen, etc. and you die. the secret to living longer is to keep those cells capable of regenerating, but doing so in a controlled way since the opposite of the cell death is Cancer.

10. Mar 27, 2004 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

people die because cells stop dividing at a programed time based on the gene tip length ( I forget what they are called)

What you're thinking of is telomeres, at the tips of chromosomes. As part of the chromosome dividing, when the cell reproduces, the telomere loses one unit. When the units are all gone, the cell can't reproduce any more.

11. Mar 29, 2004 #10
    wow I never knew it was that programmed I thought 'chance' had a lot to do with it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?