Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News We don't hate the British!

1. Jun 11, 2010 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A lot has been in the news over the last couple of days about the perception in Britain that people in the US are blaming the British, and not just BP, for the oil spill. While that may be true in isolated cases, this story has been running 24-7, for 54 days, and I have only seen a spattering of references to nationalism; and even those weren't particularly hostile. People are obviously frightened and angry, but my perception of public attitudes is that BP is clearly the bad guy here, not "The British". Heck, 40% of BP stock is held in the US, and most of the people running those platforms are Americans.

There are some things for which I will never forgive the British - the brake system on MG Midgets, Graham Norton, Victorian morality - but not the Gulf spill. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2010 #2
    probably coming from the way they're handling the Louisianans and damages payments.

4. Jun 11, 2010 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2017 Award

I think at 2:30pm EDT Saturday, there will be plenty of animosity in America toward the British.

Go USA!

5. Jun 11, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting that the US news started calling it British Petroleum, it stopped being British Petroleum and became BP when it merged with the American Ameco.

Also BP only had the exploration licence, the rig was owned and operated by trans-ocean drilling (a US company) and the operation was being performed by Haliburton

6. Jun 11, 2010 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Still BP to me, but they are the responsible party. They are the general contractor.

Personally, the notion that this would become is "British" issue for Americans, seems silly. It is all big-oil. Plenty of Americans hate plenty of American companies, including and especially, Haliburton. That's already a done deal.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  7. Jun 11, 2010 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I hate the British.

But it's more of a tea thing than anything.

8. Jun 11, 2010 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know of no animosity towards the British people because of the spill. BP...oh lots of animosity, definitely.

9. Jun 11, 2010 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The media's just making the whole thing up to run another story. I swear, it's the only explanation

10. Jun 12, 2010 #9
    I don't like them (british media etc) for defending BP. If they weren't partially to blame before, they are now.

Actually though, it is normal, the British media is constantly bashing the U.S. If you've ever read the comments on a British news site, you get the perception that there is a high level of anti-americanism among british people. And now here we go watching them defend BP, and bashing Obama's criticism, meanwhile I think Obama has been way too soft on BP.

I think the current British media blitz is probably a political stunt capitalizing on british anti-americanism to win support.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  11. Jun 12, 2010 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, what are the British press to blame for? Who do you mean by the "etc" in your above post. Do you have any references to cite to back up your accusations, or are you just jumping on the "we hate the British" bandwagon?

12. Jun 12, 2010 #11
    They are to blame for being stupid for one. The etc, means plus the British people who are jumping on the let's side with BP against the U.S. bandwagon.

13. Jun 12, 2010 #12

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, but one moment you are talking about the British media "bashing" the US, but then your evidence to back this up is some comments by the public writing in with their opinion.

To be honest, for all I admire Obama, I think he certainly assisted in this anti-British feeling by stating that "the American people will not pay a dime for the clean-up of the Gulf region and that BP will be held responsible for all the damages that have occurred". One could draw an implication from this that BP was completely disjoint from the US, but in reality that is not the case -- do the US people not realise that BP provides fuel to the US? I wonder what would happen if this was a predominantly US company, or if there was some other similar disaster on US soil. Would the president simply wash his hands of it and make said company pay for the entire clean up?

Wow.

Note that PF has rules that state you must provide references for claims. Now's the time for you to provide those references, or else your comments are nothing more than wild accusations. Specifically, I would like you to show evidence of the British media "being stupid".

14. Jun 12, 2010 #13
    I'm as willing to accept blame as the next Brit, but you can't lay responsibility for Graham Norton at our door. For that you'll need to look next door at the Irish.

15. Jun 12, 2010 #14
    They are required by Law to pay for the cleanup. Why should they not pay for the cleanup, and why do you think a U.S. based company wouldn't need to.

16. Jun 12, 2010 #15
    Obama saying BP will pay for the cost of their oil spill is causing anti-british feeling? :rofl:

It seams to me, that what we are seeing are anti-American attacks coming from the British.

While arguing BP isn't even British, they also try and hold them under their wing. I guess I know how British BP is when the British are allying with an international corporation over the U.S. after they just caused the worst environmental disaster in U.S. history.

17. Jun 12, 2010 #16

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And it seems to me that you are posting speculative nonsense with no references to back up anything you have said, despite my requests.

Who is holding anyone "under their wing"? Where is the evidence of this allying?

18. Jun 12, 2010 #17
    Where are the references for the things you said? Particularly the part about BP being held accountable because america is anti-british

19. Jun 12, 2010 #18
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/06/11/uk.media.gulf.oil/

20. Jun 12, 2010 #19

Borek

Staff: Mentor

British media? Have you checked for example French & German (not to mention Iranian and Venezuelan :devil:) news sites?

US is so large even when you stab blindly it is US that will most likely get hit.

21. Jun 12, 2010 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is no different than the attitude towards Exxon. Yes, the oil company is completely responsible for every dime of damage caused. As with Exxon, we will never see it all, but they are still responsible. At least, that is how things are supposed to work here. Were it a natural disaster, then the Federal government would pay.

After the Valdez disaster, laws supporting stiffer penalties for damages, were passed. And BP knew this when they signed the contracts for drilling.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook