Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News We have given in to terrorism

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    South Park was censored because of a muslim death threat

Granted this happened a week ago, but I don't watch south park and don't pay a lot of attention to a lot of the media so I just now found out about it. It made me wonder not only why we tolerate this kind of BS (the group that made the threat was based in New York btw) but why the hell should we be afraid of them? Air the episode uncensored, otherwise the terrorists have won. This is yet another example of what happens when we tolerate backwards thinking.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You give them too much power.

Consider we pulled it off the air for no other reason than because it was in particularly bad taste and hateful, not because someone made a threat. Note that muhammed-followers and terrorists are not synonymous.

You want to defy terrorism? Act righteously, regardless of their actions.

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

Well I think if they made a threat via email or phone call, then it is a felony harassment and they should be charged, tried, convicted, and sodomized at a later time in jail. As for South Park, the creators should just leave Comedy Central, since Comedy Central is really nothing without South Park and Tonight Show/ Colbert Report. Every one of their other shows sucks. South park should just release their episodes on the web and drive in revenue via DVD sales, or move to Adult Swim.

No gate keepers should be allowed to censor free speech in any shape. Furthermore, these gatekeepers should be punished either by the existing legal system, or in the future by exclusion from any employment opportunities, since they dont respect one of the rights, they don't necessarily deserve a right to not be discriminated against. Think of it this way. If a child commits a serious crime, we try him as an adult. Why should the same rights apply to people who take them away from others? They shouldn't.

5. Apr 27, 2010 #4

If you don't like it, don't watch it. As I said, I don't watch it. I choose not to because I find most of it's humor to be too "crude" for my tastes. But how is having Muhammed in a bear costume hateful?

6. Apr 27, 2010 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is an overly-simplistic argument. No one said the simple fact of Mohammed in a bear costume in-and-of-itself is hateful.

That being said, they are mocking figures revered by millions or billions. It would be the same if they mocked the Pope.

7. Apr 27, 2010 #6

actually yeah, you did say it was hateful. You said the episode was hateful, and the bear costume was what they had problems with.

And why exactly should any of that be off limits? Because people are so irrational and blindly devoted to superstitious nonsense?

8. Apr 27, 2010 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

Yes but this country is not for people who think they can censor others. It is made because of people like that. Blood was spilled to preserve this opportunity to say whatever you want. These censor terrorists should be deported, is all I'm saying. With extreme prejudice.

9. Apr 27, 2010 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That's your simplistic interpretation. There was a little more to the ep than just Mohammed posing in a bear costume.

That is a straw man argument. Next.

10. Apr 27, 2010 #9

cronxeh

Gold Member

Lets just clarify that DaveC is a Canadian and is technically under Her Majesty Queen's domain :rolleyes:

11. Apr 27, 2010 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Again, I put to you that the ep was censored, not because of terrorist demands, but because the airers realized it was in particularly bad taste.

I am pretty sure South Park has not used cross-burning or child molestation as sources of humour.

12. Apr 27, 2010 #11
    Mock the pope? You mean like this?

lackoffaith.jpg

Is that hateful? I just think it's amusing. There is nothing "hateful" about mocking figures revered by millions or billions.

13. Apr 27, 2010 #12
    I'm about 75% certain they have.

14. Apr 27, 2010 #13

cronxeh

Gold Member

Do you even know what you are talking about? Next.

15. Apr 27, 2010 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:rolleyes: Address the argument, not the arguer.

16. Apr 27, 2010 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I do. Are you refuting my claim?

17. Apr 27, 2010 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

Yes they have. The child molestation in almost every other episode this season, and as for cross burning, or KKK, or just plain making fun of blacks and racism and stereotypes, its been done numerous times, to a hilarious reception.

18. Apr 27, 2010 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No. So?

It depends on the mocking. That's on a case-by-case call.

I am not suggesting just any lampooning is hateful. Some simply crosses the line.

Again, there is mocking and there is mocking. Family Guy addresses sexual predation; it just keeps it on the side of the line that doesn't cause outrage.

It would be quite possible to do an ep that glorified sexual predation; that would probably cross a line.

If you're going to try to be witty in a discussion, simply parroting some else's wittiness without the substance is not the way to it.

19. Apr 27, 2010 #18
    Attempting to show Mohammed in a bear suit doesn't even come CLOSE to glorifying child sex abuse. The picture I posted of the pope is FAR more offensive than that south park episode.

20. Apr 27, 2010 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Sorry. Time out.

I can't believe I have been entertaining a serious discussion wherein the OP actually uses the phrase "the terrorists have won!" - and does so with a perfectly straight face.

Where I come from, that particular phrase is used to mock the knee-jerk insanity of people who think we have to do stupid stuff to keep the terrorists at bay.

"If you don't fly to Europe anymore the terrorists have won!"
    "If you don't buy this puppy the terrorists have won!"
    "If you don't air this show the terrorists have won!"

It was funny until it wasn't funny anymore. I bought the T-shirt and now it's been cut up for rags.

Sorry guys. Carry on without me.

21. Apr 27, 2010 #20

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I was shocked and saddened that they censored the episode. This is South Park we're talking about! Is nothing sacred? If they can't do satire, who can?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook