New Neighbors: A Young Couple, Telecommunications Business

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, a young couple has bought a small house near the speaker's home. The man is in his 40s and owns a telecommunications business. He and his partner, along with their dog, are planning to move to the area permanently if the business does well. The man currently works remotely from Maine, using DSL from the local phone company. He has already become acquainted with his neighbors and has been invited to join them for a snowmobile ride. The speaker is happy to have new neighbors and hopes they will become friends. The speaker also mentions that he knows little about his own neighbors, unlike the new couple who seems to be more connected with the community.
turbo
Gold Member
A young couple (OK, he's probably 40 or so) bought the small house near us that's been for sale for the past couple of years. He owns and operates a telecommunications business, and hopes that they can move up here permanently, full-time in a year or two if the company does well. He's gotten DSL from our phone company, and is providing software support and updates from Maine when he is here. Sometimes, he has to download huge files, and currently he does that when he is home (20 Gps), but he can often write and install updates from here. I wish him all the best. He and his lady and their rescued shelter-dog all seem very nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Very happy you have new neighbors now. And a dog. That makes things perfect huh?
No one shoud be alone.
Enjoy and waiting to hear the latest.

Likes gracy
I find it bizarre that you know your neighbours internet usage habit. :-)

Last edited:
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I find it bizarre that you know your neighbours internet usage habit. :-)
Out here, it's assumed that you might ask.

We are in the hinterlands of broad-band.

I think it's funny that you know more about your new neighbor than I know of any of my neighbors after living here for 5 years.

Jack21222 said:
I think it's funny that you know more about your new neighbor than I know of any of my neighbors after living here for 5 years.
We tend to be more welcoming and interconnected than "townies".

A few days back, he mentioned that he now knows more of his neighbors after a couple of weeks than he did after years of living in Mass. A guy was delivering firewood to them yesterday while I was out walking my dog, so I stopped and said "hi". Just then, another neighbor pulled in on his snowmobile to introduce himself. The new neighbors said that they were planning a long ride for today - to Greenville and back, at a minimum, and asked if he'd like to come along. Ken's face lit up - he's retired, and pretty bored, since he doesn't like riding alone.

That was a real good move (as well as being a polite thing to do). The older guy has a nice shop with torches, an arc welder, and a TIG welder, so if the new couple breaks something on a snowmobile or on their compact tractor, he can probably fix it. He also built a nice insulated bunkhouse over his shop, so that when his friends want to come up from Mass for a weekend, they'll have a place to stay. If he gets chummy with the new neighbors, I'm sure he'll invite their visitors to stay there instead of having to drive ~20 miles to a motel.

turbo-1 said:

A few days back, he mentioned that he now knows more of his neighbors after a couple of weeks than he did after years of living in Mass. A guy was delivering firewood to them yesterday while I was out walking my dog, so I stopped and said "hi". Just then, another neighbor pulled in on his snowmobile to introduce himself. The new neighbors said that they were planning a long ride for today - to Greenville and back, at a minimum, and asked if he'd like to come along. Ken's face lit up - he's retired, and pretty bored, since he doesn't like riding alone.

That was a real good move (as well as being a polite thing to do). The older guy has a nice shop with torches, an arc welder, and a TIG welder, so if the new couple breaks something on a snowmobile or on their compact tractor, he can probably fix it. He also built a nice insulated bunkhouse over his shop, so that when his friends want to come up from Mass for a weekend, they'll have a place to stay. If he gets chummy with the new neighbors, I'm sure he'll invite their visitors to stay there instead of having to drive ~20 miles to a motel.

Oh, I love real living. Enjoy! I am so happy for you.

turbo-1 said:

Well you are one lucky guy. All I know about my neighbours is that one is a russian family while the other is either indian or paskitani. I can't remember the last time I said hello to my asian neighbours. Partly because I can't stand the guy, he is a chimney, and all they talk about are their rich doctor and lawyer children without been asked.
The russian family is nice.

I wave once in a while if I see them on my way out but I am definitely not overly friendly with them.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Well you are one lucky guy. All I know about my neighbours is that one is a russian family while the other is either indian or paskitani. I can't remember the last time I said hello to my asian neighbours. Partly because I can't stand the guy, he is a chimney, and all they talk about are their rich doctor and lawyer children without been asked.
The russian family is nice.

I wave once in a while if I see them on my way out but I am definitely not overly friendly with them.

Thank you for sharing this. Not every neighborhood lends itself to the kind of life Turbo and his family are lucky to live. Perhaps we will all have this again some day.
Turbo, did they have kids yet? :biggrin:

No kids, Lacy. Maybe someday. They seem like very nice people. They took off for a snowmobile ride this morning around 9am (with my older neighbor) and finally returned about an hour ago. Nice long, pleasant winter day on the trails.

I think they'll fit in well here. We all watch each others' backs and try to help out when we can. We do things for one another with no expectation of pay-back - just the knowledge that our neighborhood is stronger for the effort. This summer when I was helping one neighbor mill out framing lumber and boards for the expansion that we built on his house, we spent the better part of two days to mill out pine for a young neighbor down the road who wanted a free-standing woodshed. It will come around.

All the places I lived by choice were this type of community in some way. The Brooklyn community of course was city life, but the ladies had 5 lines on the kitchen phones (no cells at the time) where they would be arranging to help others line by line.
In MN we lived like you seem to live even though it again was in the city we all lived with the neighbors/community in mind.
Coming to where I am now was a total shock. Here 12 years.
I don't get it. :frown:
It's ok, we have our memories.
And your posts... :smile:

Jack21222 said:

Same! I've had much more interaction with my Mom and Dad's neighbors than I have with my own. Different neighborhoods / different types of people.

turbo-1 said:
A young couple (OK, he's probably 40 or so) bought the small house near us that's been for sale for the past couple of years.

Ask them to register at PF, you will get a free appraisal of the couple.

Our new neighbors got married today at a ceremony at their new home. Small family-only deal with a few people from Mass, PA, and Conn, and a complete surprise to me. I was walking Duke past their place this afternoon and he was barking and fretting because there were unfamiliar vehicles there (he is a very observant dog and doesn't like out-of-the-ordinary stuff), and Amy came out to say hi and let their dog out. They had just gotten married, which is when I found out. I'm very happy for them, and wish them the best. I won't be able to forget their anniversary, since it will be 2 days before ours.

I'm glad your new neighbors pass muster. :wink:

Does Duke like their dog?

nismaratwork said:
Does Duke like their dog?
Yes, Roadie is a little sweetheart of a mutt. She's a bit roly-poly, but I bet that living up here will trim her down. Lots of running around to do, lots of squirrels to chase...

turbo-1 said:
Yes, Roadie is a little sweetheart of a mutt. She's a bit roly-poly, but I bet that living up here will trim her down. Lots of running around to do, lots of squirrels to chase...

Ahhh... good times, and happy mutts... usually a good sign.

What is the background of the young couple in "New Neighbors: A Young Couple, Telecommunications Business"?

The young couple in "New Neighbors: A Young Couple, Telecommunications Business" are both in their mid-twenties and have recently moved to the neighborhood. The husband works as a telecommunications engineer while the wife is currently a stay-at-home mom to their newborn baby.

What type of telecommunications business does the young couple own?

The young couple owns a start-up telecommunications business that specializes in providing high-speed internet and phone services to residential and commercial properties.

What challenges do the young couple face as new business owners?

As new business owners, the young couple faces challenges such as securing funding, building a customer base, and competing with established companies in the industry. They also have to navigate the complexities of running a business while balancing their personal and family life.

How do the young couple's neighbors react to their new business?

The young couple's neighbors have mixed reactions to their new business. Some are supportive and excited about having access to high-speed internet and phone services, while others are skeptical and worried about potential disruptions to their neighborhood. Overall, the community is curious about the new business and its impact on their daily lives.

What impact does the young couple's business have on the neighborhood?

The young couple's business has a positive impact on the neighborhood by providing much-needed services and creating job opportunities. It also brings economic growth and development to the area. However, there may also be some negative impacts, such as increased traffic and noise from construction and maintenance of telecommunication infrastructure.