We have no resonsibility for the past?

• Thread starter garytse86
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for clearing that up!In summary, drag is saying that we are all responsible for the destruction of the natural world and the loss of many species.
garytse86
We have no resonsibility for the past? What do you think about this topic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not for your own past (to an extent, since we're not
single particles) but certainly we are responsible for
the past of others and more and more of it(in terms of time)
the farther they are from us.

Live long and prosper.

Last edited:
Well, first, I don't know what "resonsibility" is!

Assuming you meant "responsibility", wouldn't this be better under "General Discussion" or "Philosophy" than "General Physics"?

I think s/he's talking about "being responsible" for
the past in QM terms. :wink:

Originally posted by drag
Not for your own past (to an extent, since we're not
single particles) but certainly we are responsible for
the past of others and more and more of it(in terms of time)
the farther they are from us.

Live long and prosper.
By this statement, do you mean Americans today are responsible for historically enslaving blacks or taking away the land of Native Americans and forcing them to live on reservations?

Originally posted by Tsunami
By this statement, do you mean Americans today are responsible for historically enslaving blacks or taking away the land of Native Americans and forcing them to live on reservations?

Woah- huge leap there

by past do you mean everything back to the beginning of time as we know it?

Originally posted by Zantra
Woah- huge leap there

by past do you mean everything back to the beginning of time as we know it?
Huge leap where? I guess I thought that, since this is GD forum, we wouldn't be talking about particles or QM, as previously stated. I was just wondering what drag meant by responsiblities of the "past of others and more and more of it(in terms of time)
the farther they are from us." Those were just examples I used to try to clarify the question.
But, I suppose I should be asking "HEY! garytse86! What the hell do you mean 'responsibilities for the past?"

Last edited:
Greetings !
Huge leap where? I guess I thought that, since this is GD forum, we wouldn't be talking about particles or QM, as previously stated. I was just wondering what drag meant by responsiblities of the "past of others and more and more of it(in terms of time)
the farther they are from us." Those were just examples I used to try to clarify the question.
But, I suppose I should be asking "HEY! garytse86! What the hell do you mean 'responsibilities of the past?"
What drag meant is to respond to a thread posted in
the general physics forum, but someone's been "overmentoring"
and this is the result. :wink:
Nope, I meant that modern humans are responsible for destroying
wild life and terminating many spieces of plants and animals
thus presenting no responsibility and respect for the life on
their planet and their own sources.

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by drag
Greetings !

What drag meant is to respond to a thread posted in
the general physics forum, but someone's been "overmentoring"
and this is the result. :wink:

Nope, I meant that modern humans are responsible for destroying
wild life and terminating many spieces of plants and animals
thus presenting no responsibility and respect for the life on
their planet and their own sources.

Live long and prosper.
Ah. Well, that makes a HECK of a lot more sense! And I agree wholeheartedly. We must have more respect and take more responsibility to protect our fragile ecosystems. But I fear it may just be too late.

What does "We have no responsibility for the past" mean?

"We have no responsibility for the past" means that we are not accountable for events or actions that have already occurred. It suggests that we should not be held responsible for things that have happened in the past, as we cannot change them.

Why is it important to acknowledge our lack of responsibility for the past?

It is important to acknowledge our lack of responsibility for the past because it allows us to focus on the present and the future. Dwelling on the past and feeling guilty for things that are out of our control can be detrimental to our mental health and hinder our progress.

Does having no responsibility for the past mean we should not learn from it?

No, having no responsibility for the past does not mean we should not learn from it. While we may not be responsible for past events, we can still reflect on them and use them to inform our decisions and actions in the present and future.

Are there any exceptions to the concept of having no responsibility for the past?

Yes, there can be exceptions to the concept of having no responsibility for the past. For example, if an individual or group has directly caused harm or damage in the past, they may still be held accountable and responsible for their actions.

How can we move forward without feeling burdened by our lack of responsibility for the past?

We can move forward without feeling burdened by our lack of responsibility for the past by accepting that it is out of our control and focusing on making positive changes in the present and future. It can also be helpful to practice forgiveness, both for ourselves and others, and to let go of any feelings of guilt or regret.