Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

We may have to move Loch Ness to this forum

1. Jul 17, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since this appears to be legit I am posting here. I am not making claims, but this looks serious. The source appears to be respectible. My apologies in advance if this is bogus.

"Meanwhile, on the shores of Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands, retired scrap dealer Gerald McSorley, who recently had a hip replaced, stumbled and fell into the water -- where his hand felt a strange object. When he brought it to a museum in Edinburgh to have it examined by experts, they told him it was the 150 million-year-old fossilized vertebrae of what was likely a plesiosaur."

http://canada.com/national/story.asp?id=D6312F80-8167-421C-A206-9C3C7F6CD03A

Last edited: Jul 17, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2003 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Washington Times and UPI are playing this down.

STIRLING, Scotland, July 17 (UPI) -- The fossilized remains of a long-necked sea reptile that lived 150 million years ago have been found in Loch Ness -- giving rise to yet another Nessie tale.

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20030717-050058-4193r.htm

I thought that a key argument against a "Nessie" is that plesiosaurs could not have gotten into the Loch. Perhaps this is not a plesiosaur's remains?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2003
  4. Jul 18, 2003 #3
    I guess that proves that 150 Myears ago Nessie was there. Maybe Loch Ness was part of a sea back then....

5. Jul 18, 2003 #4

wolram

Gold Member

i think you will find that loch ness didnt exist 150my ago so even though the fossil was found there it predates loch ness
    sorry to spoil your fun

6. Jul 18, 2003 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Last edited: Jul 18, 2003
  7. Jul 18, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really I would be as surprised as anyone if they found a Nessie. This is one claim that I have written off to sturgeon. There was a sighting about 20 years ago that involved about 5 or 6 six people. One woman had a gun and shot at it...or course... and the next day a sturgeon with a bullet wound was found along the shore.

Also, upon reflection, the argument that I was thinking of was that plesiosaurs could have once existed here but that they never could have survived the last ice age. I was thinking that finding one here was significant. Sorry, probably nothing it seems.

Thanks Wolram for the links.

8. Jul 18, 2003 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The one point that keeps my interest is that apparently all claims of lake monsters reference deep land locked lakes at about 45 degrees latitude. If this is accurate then it is rather interesting. Perhaps this speak to the formation of deep lakes somehow?

9. Jul 18, 2003 #8
    It's beleived that

the Chinese beleif in Dragons originated from the Dinosaur bones so abundant in some regions of China.

10. Jul 20, 2003 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?