Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

We need a modern Diogenes

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    (I posted this on GameFAQs, but this forums is more active than the Gfaqs philosophy forum)

I did feel some things sounded a bit far-fetched, especially the Alexander quotes. However, I at least like the idea of him, and the fact that a character such as him, even if it carries some fiction, is given respect should encourage some of the lower class. It proves you don't have to be a huge success (economy-wise) to gain respect, and I think that should be somewhat uplifting. we really need people like him in this day and age, when everyone is worried about having to go to college, and move up the corporate ladder.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2010 #2
    We have a lot of modern day Diogenes. You can find them in any large city.

4. Jun 5, 2010 #3
    I don't get this. Of course you want to get a good education if you're a competent individual, but why does everything has to be so focused about earning as much money for yourself as possible... ? Wouldn't it be more important to solve and handle the problems in our world?

I'm too idealistic...

5. Jun 5, 2010 #4
    I've educated myself, and I dropped out of college. I might go back, I might not, but I do believe in having a good education.

6. Jun 5, 2010 #5
    Soooo I had no clue who this diogenes guy is but after reading wiki I have to wonder why you want a guy like this around?

7. Jun 7, 2010 #6
    Question is, why would you NOT want him around?

8. Jun 7, 2010 #7
    He would probably ask you for money.

9. Jun 9, 2010 #8
    For those doubting Diogenes, I just watched a documentary about Poppa Neutrino, and he seems to have a lot of the qualities I like about Diogenes. So I guess we do have a modern Diogenes, awesome. Any other guys like him?

10. Jun 10, 2010 #9
    I think Diogenes is awesome don't get me wrong. I would say he was the first punk rocker.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook