We owe all our prosperity to science

• Thread starter garytse86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: However, if you look at history, some of the most important discoveries were made by people who weren't scientists. For example, the discovery of bacteria and the basis for effective public health policies and antibiotics (these have increased the lifespan of far, far more people than were killed by atomic weapons). Additionally, I think it's important to remember that science is a continuous process, and that scientists are constantly making discoveries that have an impact on the way we live our lives. For example, the discovery of the atomic bomb and the relationship between mass and nuclear energy. It's impossible to say whether or not these discoveries would have been made without the work of scientists, but I think it's safe to say that their work has had a significant impact on the
garytse86
We owe all our prosperity to science, what do you think about this topic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by garytse86
But what facilitated the work of the scientists? For example, why wasn't there an Aztec Newton? or a Harappa Darwin?

And how about the implementation of science? It's not for lack of scientific knowledge that a Benin cotton farmer can't compete on world markets (and so become prosperous). An unemployed engineer in Belarus isn't prosperous, but that's not because his high school science education was worse than his counterpart in Boston.

What I worry about is the feedback of basic sciences to the industry/companies and to the doctors office.

Way to many doctors don't read up on scientific literature, but rather look up information is those year old books of them.

What about the atomic bomb? If scientists did not discover the relationship between mass and nuclear energy, would there have been so many deaths? But personally, I do not think we can help it because it is the human nature really, to always want to find out the ultimate questions of the universe.

What about the atomic bomb? If scientists did not discover the relationship between mass and nuclear energy, would there have been so many deaths? But personally, I do not think we can help it because it is the human nature really, to always want to find out the ultimate questions of the universe.
What about the discovery of bacteria, and thus the basis for effective public health policies and antibiotics (these have increased the lifespan of far, far more people than were killed by atomic weapons)?

If it's human nature, why weren't the sorts of scientific discoveries that were made in Europe, from Newton's time onward (say), not made centuries earlier in China? Or Greece?
[ edit ] centuries earlier in what is today Peru?
or centuries earlier in what is today Pakistan/India? [ end edit; original was ambiguous:frown: ]

Last edited:
Human nature :), India definitely has some nice research facilities, but India was exploited in the past which threw the country back. It is all about how a nation is run, how much money is available.

The Greek has some nice inventors too, btw, in the past.

The climate in Europe would also be a factor: creation of leasure time if your stomach is full and don't have to worry about the absence of rains during summer.

"Prosperity: the condition of being successful or thriving;esp: economic well-being

Hm. While its true that science has made it possible to spread prosperity farther than it could be in the past, I think it might be more on the mark to attribute prosperity to forms of government that encourage it, rather than neglect it, or discourage it.

Originally posted by Monique Way to many doctors don't read up on scientific literature, but rather look up information is those year old books of them.
I'm curious to know how you knew this.I don't think the average person realizes how far behind current research their doctors probably are. There doesn't seem to be any system set up for making sure doctors are keeping up with things, or for making sure important new information is diseminated to doctors.

Difficult question. Yes, science plays a rather large part imho.

What is science?

Science is a systematic and evidence-based approach to understanding the natural world through observation, experimentation, and analysis.

How has science contributed to our prosperity?

Science has led to technological advancements, medical breakthroughs, and improved agricultural practices, all of which have contributed to our economic and societal prosperity.

Who is responsible for our prosperity?

It would be inaccurate to credit any one person or group for our prosperity. Science is a collective effort and has been built upon the discoveries and contributions of countless individuals throughout history.

What are some examples of scientific advancements that have led to our prosperity?

Examples of scientific advancements that have contributed to our prosperity include the development of vaccines, the discovery of electricity, and the invention of the internet.

Are there any potential downsides to our reliance on science for prosperity?

While science has brought many benefits, it is important to consider potential negative consequences such as environmental impacts, ethical concerns, and unequal access to resources and advancements.