We should give free money to the homeless

OmCheeto
Gold Member
I didn't realise there was already this thread on the UBI.
Being newly retired, and getting a UBI, and knowing what I've become(LAZY!), I'm starting to see the right wing side of the thought process.
As far as I can tell, right wingers got their money either by being not poor in the first place, or gaming the system.
In any event, they understood long before I did, what it meant to be "self lazy".

One of them really needs to start a thread, on how they overcame that affliction.

Likes CalcNerd
I am certain that most people would not become lazy if their basic needs were provided. I think the opposite would happen.

Most people I know on retirement pension work harder than ever in volunteer clubs/committees/lobby groups....

Of course there is a percentage of people that really are just lazy.

I only imagine all the useless physics experiments I would be doing if I did not have to spend so much time on basic survival.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
As far as I can tell, right wingers got their money either by being not poor in the first place, or gaming the system.
Or perhaps they hear this kind of comment, dripping with loathing, and decide to oppose your politics? Clay County, KY, which often tops the list of poorest US counties, went 9:1 for the Republican candidate this year.

Or perhaps they hear this kind of comment, dripping with loathing, and decide to oppose your politics? Clay County, KY, which often tops the list of poorest US counties, went 9:1 for the Republican candidate this year.

I am not in the US or understand their politics but have seen places in the South that are like third world hell holes and the people support policies that help them the least ie opposition to healthcare when their health is poor, opposition to welfare when they depend in food stamps, opposition to peace when they are cannon fodder, opposition to overseas manufacturing but addicted to cheap consumer products, opposition to science......

What's up with that, the South is a hard logic to follow.

Likes CalcNerd
OmCheeto
Gold Member
I am certain that most people would not become lazy if their basic needs were provided.
See: Children

aka, You are correct.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
I am not in the US or understand their politics but have seen places in the South that are like third world hell holes and the people support policies that help them the least ie opposition to healthcare when their health is poor, opposition to welfare when they depend in food stamps, opposition to peace when they are cannon fodder, opposition to overseas manufacturing but addicted to cheap consumer products, opposition to science......

What's up with that, the South is a hard logic to follow.
I'm in the US, and don't understand it either.
hmmmm........

ps. "Loathing" is a funny word.

I was in Gallatin (spelling) as a teenager for a while living with rich people on a horse stud farm - kind generous people but the poor areas I only can compare to SE Asia's poorest areas.

I could not believe such poverty existed in the US until I saw it.

The poor SE Asians were positive people with a zest for life, the poor white Southerners were violent and angry and were in a state of preparation for some vague apocalyptic war.

Just my personal experience, not generalising.

Last edited:
Evo
Mentor
This thread is a necropost which no longer meets our guidelines, so it is closed.