WE WON PF has been nominated for physics.org award!

Char. Limit
Gold Member

I have a feeling some of the older/professional audience perceives forums as places run by anarchistic teenagers, not a place for a serious discussion, so I am not surprised by the judges verdict.

I am present at chemical forums and at the same time I am a member of a discussion list for chemistry educators. More than once I have read at CHEMED-L that forums are place where people solve HW for others and where the drug makers share recipes. CF rules are not as stringent as PF rules, but they are very similar in the spirit, so such opinion is unjust - but it exists and my efforts to explain it is wrong didn't work. I guess something similar can be at work here.
Well, the people who think that can go to 4chan for all I care.

Woot for the People's Choice award!

congrats to Pf ,mentors and admin !!!!
It truly is a great site !. well deserved for the effort.

Borek
Mentor

Well, the people who think that can go to 4chan for all I care.
Beware, your chemistry prof can be one of them.

Char. Limit
Gold Member

Beware, your chemistry prof can be one of them.
And I think that she sometimes goes on 4chan.

radou
Homework Helper

Congratulations to all!

Dembadon
Gold Member

I have a feeling some of the older/professional audience perceives forums as places run by anarchistic teenagers, not a place for a serious discussion, so I am not surprised by the judges verdict.

If the "older/professional" judges voted based on their perceptions, then they've no right calling themselves professionals. It wouldn't take much effort on their part to discover that PF isn't your typical internet forum.

In any case, I'd rather have the people's vote. :approve: I'm proud to be a member of this community. Thank you to all of the mentors, homework helpers, and science advisers!

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed

Why did this dumb competition drag PF into it, anyway?

They can keep dealing out their Raspberry&Darwin Awards for all I care..

Congrats Greg and all of the wonderful people who work so hard to make PF such a fantastic site. You guys deserve all of the accolades you get!

Evo
Mentor

Congrats Greg and all of the wonderful people who work so hard to make PF such a fantastic site. You guys deserve all of the accolades you get!
That would be all of the members including you Georgina!

That would be all of the members including you Georgina!
Meh, I get the privilege of coming here and hanging out with some really bright and really funny people. Someone was kind enough to let me in the door. :smile:

Char. Limit
Gold Member

Meh, I get the privilege of coming here and hanging out with some really bright and really funny people. Someone was kind enough to let me in the door. :smile:
My thoughts exactly.

Yahaa!!
I knew it, though.

I love physics forum, I feel that I can ask any burning question that I have on here and it is often answered or discussed with great enthusiasm, wit and informed thinking.
well done!

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Last edited:
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

If physics.org was serious about this competition, they would contact Greg with the scores he received from different judges under the various criteria for judgment, so he could use the feedback to improve the site. I, personally, would like to see how we scored compared to the other shortlisted sites.

OmCheeto
Gold Member

If physics.org was serious about this competition, they would contact Greg with the scores he received from different judges under the various criteria for judgment, so he could use the feedback to improve the site. I, personally, would like to see how we scored compared to the other shortlisted sites.
It looks as though 4 of the 5 judges were astro/cosmo geeks.
http://www.physics.org/featuredetail.asp?id=56" [Broken]

Maybe we need to spend more time talking about stars and stuff?

Anyways, if I've said it once, I've said it twice, PF is the only forum worth paying for.

Though I did offer cash money for the archive of Dr. Neutrino after they took it off line. But the professor I contacted said it was deleted. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Hurray!!! PF is for the people and we won the peoples award! This will look nice in our trophy case :)

Of course we won, I only sent them an e-mail once a week telling them we had better win.