Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Weak acids and bases buffers

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm a little confused, lets say i do a titration curve for a weak acid, at some point theres a buffering range near the pKa. Like i know that if we add a strong base like NaOH to acetic acid in a water solvent, then the OH- will combine with the H+ (hydronium ion) which will shift the equilibrium towards the acetate ion and hydronium ion. But will a different process occur when we add the OH- in the buffering region? Like in my book, it says that it will react with the acetic acid which will form the acetate ion...but i just dont see why this occurs differently then when the OH- reacted with the hydronium ion....
    any help/clearing up would be much appreciated

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is not much different - in both cases it is like H+ reacting with OH-. However, in the solution of acetic acid there is - like - a lot of undissociated acetic acid, usually much more than H+. Hence we say OH- reacts with acetic acid, not H+.

Like.

4. Sep 25, 2010 #3
    Like, are you like annoyed by like the way i'm like writing my message? Like, if you like dont like it, like i suggest like you like find something else to like you know worry about besides like the way i write.

Like.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook