1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Weak acids and bases buffers

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm a little confused, lets say i do a titration curve for a weak acid, at some point theres a buffering range near the pKa. Like i know that if we add a strong base like NaOH to acetic acid in a water solvent, then the OH- will combine with the H+ (hydronium ion) which will shift the equilibrium towards the acetate ion and hydronium ion. But will a different process occur when we add the OH- in the buffering region? Like in my book, it says that it will react with the acetic acid which will form the acetate ion...but i just dont see why this occurs differently then when the OH- reacted with the hydronium ion....
    any help/clearing up would be much appreciated

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is not much different - in both cases it is like H+ reacting with OH-. However, in the solution of acetic acid there is - like - a lot of undissociated acetic acid, usually much more than H+. Hence we say OH- reacts with acetic acid, not H+.

Like.

4. Sep 25, 2010 #3
    Like, are you like annoyed by like the way i'm like writing my message? Like, if you like dont like it, like i suggest like you like find something else to like you know worry about besides like the way i write.

Like.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook