1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weak acids

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    i had this question on atest recently, it said to identify whish of these is not a weak acid: HCNO : HBr : HF : HNO2 : HCN. Now the problem i am having with his, is in my book it gives that theyre common acids...ig deal, not if theyre strong or weak, and on the internet as far as i have found theyre all weak acids. This puzzles me greatly. I can tell you one more thing, the one i hadent seen enough to be sure (HCNO) definetly isent it, because thats the one i put down, and it was marked wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2
    HBr is the correct answer.

Usually in chemistry textbooks they give you a table of six strong acids. HBr, HCl, HI, H2SO4, H3PO4, and HNO3. Double check your notes and book. It's probably in there.
  4. Oct 3, 2005 #3
    thats what i was starting to lean towards, though i fugured it might have been hf too because of flourine's strong electronegativity, then i did look that up though an was disprooved fairly quickly.
  5. Oct 3, 2005 #4
    Yeah, you wouldn't be the first chemistry student to think that.

Fluorine's a tricky little bastard that's no good to anybody.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?