Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Weak acids

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    i had this question on atest recently, it said to identify whish of these is not a weak acid: HCNO : HBr : HF : HNO2 : HCN. Now the problem i am having with his, is in my book it gives that theyre common acids...ig deal, not if theyre strong or weak, and on the internet as far as i have found theyre all weak acids. This puzzles me greatly. I can tell you one more thing, the one i hadent seen enough to be sure (HCNO) definetly isent it, because thats the one i put down, and it was marked wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2
    HBr is the correct answer.

Usually in chemistry textbooks they give you a table of six strong acids. HBr, HCl, HI, H2SO4, H3PO4, and HNO3. Double check your notes and book. It's probably in there.

4. Oct 3, 2005 #3
    thats what i was starting to lean towards, though i fugured it might have been hf too because of flourine's strong electronegativity, then i did look that up though an was disprooved fairly quickly.

5. Oct 3, 2005 #4
    Yeah, you wouldn't be the first chemistry student to think that.

Fluorine's a tricky little bastard that's no good to anybody.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook