Identifying Weak Acids: HCNO, HBr, HF, HNO2, and HCN

• Thread starter professor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acids Weak
In summary, the conversation was about identifying a weak acid for a test question. The person had difficulty determining the correct answer as their textbook listed all the acids as common acids, but not specifying if they were strong or weak. After some research, they found that HBr is the correct answer and that it is one of the six strong acids listed in most chemistry textbooks. They also discussed the possibility of HF being the answer due to fluorine's strong electronegativity, but it was quickly disproven.
professor
i had this question on atest recently, it said to identify whish of these is not a weak acid: HCNO : HBr : HF : HNO2 : HCN. Now the problem i am having with his, is in my book it gives that theyre common acids...ig deal, not if theyre strong or weak, and on the internet as far as i have found theyre all weak acids. This puzzles me greatly. I can tell you one more thing, the one i hadent seen enough to be sure (HCNO) definately isent it, because that's the one i put down, and it was marked wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
HBr is the correct answer.

Usually in chemistry textbooks they give you a table of six strong acids. HBr, HCl, HI, H2SO4, H3PO4, and HNO3. Double check your notes and book. It's probably in there.

thats what i was starting to lean towards, though i fugured it might have been hf too because of flourine's strong electronegativity, then i did look that up though an was disprooved fairly quickly.

Yeah, you wouldn't be the first chemistry student to think that.

Fluorine's a tricky little bastard that's no good to anybody.

What are weak acids?

Weak acids are acids that only partially dissociate in water, meaning that they do not completely break apart into ions. This results in a lower concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in solution compared to strong acids.

How do you identify weak acids?

Weak acids can be identified by looking at their dissociation constants (Ka). A lower Ka value indicates a weaker acid, as it shows that the acid does not dissociate as much in solution.

What are some examples of weak acids?

Some examples of weak acids include HCNO, HBr, HF, HNO2, and HCN. These acids have a Ka value less than 1.

What are the properties of weak acids?

Weak acids have a lower concentration of hydrogen ions in solution, making them less acidic than strong acids. They also have a higher pH and do not completely dissociate in water.

How do weak acids differ from strong acids?

Weak acids differ from strong acids in their ability to dissociate in water. While strong acids completely break apart into ions, weak acids only partially dissociate, resulting in a lower concentration of hydrogen ions in solution. Additionally, strong acids have a higher Ka value compared to weak acids.