What is the Definition of a Weak Direct Product in Group Theory?

In summary, the book doesn't really explain why the weak product exists or what the universal mapping property of a Cartesian product is.
radou
Homework Helper
Well, I have trouble understanding the definition of the weak product of a family of groups, which states that it is the set of all [itex]f \in \prod_{i \in I} G_{i}[/itex] such that [itex]f(i) = e_{i} \in G_{i}[/itex], for all but a finite number of i from I (Gi is a family of groups indexed by the set I).

The bolded part causes confusion.

Further on, the book says that, if I is finite, the weak direct product coincides with the direct product. Even this fact didn't help me understand the definition of the weak direct product. :frown:

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is usually called the direct sum. For example, the direct product of countably many copies of Z consists of all infinite sequences of integers, with addition defined pointwise. The direct sum consists of all finite sequences of integers of arbitrarily length (ie, the subset of the infinite sequences which are zero after a certain point). So (1,1,1,...) is in the direct product but not the direct sum, while (1,2,3,0,0,0,...) is in both.

StatusX said:
This is usually called the direct sum. For example, the direct product of countably many copies of Z consists of all infinite sequences of integers, with addition defined pointwise. The direct sum consists of all finite sequences of integers of arbitrarily length (ie, the subset of the infinite sequences which are zero after a certain point). So (1,1,1,...) is in the direct product but not the direct sum, while (1,2,3,0,0,0,...) is in both.

Okay, I get it now, thanks.

Btw, why is an element of a Cartesian product defined as a function? I read about it and I understand it, but where's the motivation except in formality (?) ?

I guess it's just a clean way of generalizing beyond finite or countable index sets. Besides, how else would you (rigorously) define them?

It is the categorical paradigm. Objects should be defined by maps into, and out of, them. It also avoids any set theory (we should be talking of morphisms and not functions).

StatusX said:
Besides, how else would you (rigorously) define them?

Good point.

I have another question. I have read about the universal mapping property of a Cartesian product of sets. Further on, I have read a bit about products in the context of categories. Finally, I learned that a direct product of groups is a product, speaking in the language of categories. So, these "universal mapping properties" occur quite frequently.

For example, is Gi is a family of groups and fi : H --> Gi is a family of group homomorphisms, the there is a unique homomorphism f : H --> [itex]\prod_{i \in I}G_{i}[/itex] such that pi o f = fi, for all i e I (where pi is the "projection epimorphism" with image Gi), and this determines [itex]\prod_{i \in I}G_{i}[/itex] uniquely up to isomorphism.

Such theorems confuse me, since I can't see the direct motivation for these observations. Is it simply to prove existence of general homomorphisms, when given some "basic tools"? Are such theorems going to be extremely useful in the future (I assume they will, but still, I'm curious)?

What theorems? That is the definition of product (if we include te universality of the projections). Actually, these things are determined up to unique isomorphism, not uniquely up to isomorphism.

None of the definitions at all justifies why any such object might exist in any category. Generically, arbitrary categories will not have products, or coproducts, or any such constructions. The concrete things you write down show that GROUP does have products, for instance.

Further, anything you prove about GROUP and products, if it only depends on the definition of product, will hold in any category that has products. That is the beauty and power of category theory. Why bother to prove something complicated in a particular situation when it holds in entire generality for completely formal reasons?

matt grime said:
None of the definitions at all justifies why any such object might exist in any category. Generically, arbitrary categories will not have products, or coproducts, or any such constructions. The concrete things you write down show that GROUP does have products, for instance.

Further, anything you prove about GROUP and products, if it only depends on the definition of product, will hold in any category that has products. That is the beauty and power of category theory. Why bother to prove something complicated in a particular situation when it holds in entire generality for completely formal reasons?

Thanks, this was enlightening.

What is a weak direct product?

A weak direct product is a mathematical concept that describes a structure formed by combining multiple objects or systems, where each object or system has its own unique properties and interactions with the others. It is a weakened version of the direct product, where the individual objects or systems are not necessarily completely independent.

What is the difference between a weak direct product and a direct product?

The main difference between a weak direct product and a direct product is that in a direct product, the individual objects or systems are completely independent and do not interact with each other, whereas in a weak direct product, there may be some interactions or dependencies between the objects or systems.

How is a weak direct product represented mathematically?

A weak direct product is represented mathematically using a Cartesian product, denoted by the symbol ×, where each element in the product represents a combination of elements from the individual objects or systems. The product also includes a set of compatibility relations that describe the interactions between the objects or systems.

What are some applications of weak direct products?

Weak direct products have various applications in mathematics and other fields such as computer science, physics, and biology. They are used to model systems with multiple components that interact with each other, such as networks, chemical reactions, and genetic systems.

What are the limitations of using a weak direct product?

One limitation of using a weak direct product is that it does not capture the full complexity of interactions between the individual objects or systems. It also assumes that the compatibility relations are fixed and do not change over time, which may not always be the case in real-world systems.