Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weak ductile material

1. Jan 5, 2016 #1
    I teach soil mechanics and I introduce to my students brittle and ductile materials. Failure of brittle materials is obvious for them but not for ductile materials. Do you know any ductile material that can be easily broken by traction? Unfortunately I do not have any tensile testing machine so I can apply just a little traction force with limited weight (less than 30kg). I just want to show to them that the failure plane is not perpedicular to the traction force.Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Lead (Pb) .

4. Jan 5, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

+1 Try electrical solder.

5. Jan 5, 2016 #4
    Great ideas! I'll try them! thanks

6. Jan 6, 2016 #5

rbelli1

Gold Member

Try to find solid core solder if you go that route. The flux core will only complicate the fracture point.

BoB

7. Jan 7, 2016 #6

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Putty or modeling clay.

8. Jan 21, 2016 #7
    A step stronger than solder would be copper wire.. something like 14ga solid electrical house wiring is pretty soft, and with nothing more than a vice and a couple tools can be stretched to it's breaking point

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook