1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weak field Geodesic equation

1. Nov 15, 2013 #1
    Geodesic equation:

[itex]m_{0}\frac{du^{\alpha}}{d\tau}+\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu}u^{\mu}u^{\nu}= qF^{\alpha\beta}u_{\beta}[/itex]

Weak-field:

[itex]ds^{2}= - (1+2\phi)dt^{2}+(1-2\phi)(dx^{2}+dy^{2}+dz^{2})[/itex]

Magnetic field, [itex]B[/itex] is set to be zero.

I want to find electric field, [itex]E[/itex], but don't know where to start, so could someone give me a procedure to find it?

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

##F_{\mu\nu}## is a covariant object but ##E^{\mu}## and ##B^{\mu}## are not i.e. they are frame dependent quantities. They only have meaning if you have a background observer with 4-velocity ##u^{\mu}## who can decompose ##F_{\mu\nu}## into ##E^{\mu}## and ##B^{\mu}## relative to ##u^{\mu}##.

Once you have such a ##u^{\mu}##, then ##E^{\mu} = F^{\mu}{}{}_{\nu}u^{\nu}## and ##B^{\mu} = -\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}F_{\alpha\beta}u_{\nu}##.

4. Nov 16, 2013 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

That's not entirely true. You can build a formalism of classical electromagnetics with socalled bivectors by representing the electromagnetic field with [itex]\mathbb{C}^3[/itex] vector fields,
    [tex]\vec{\mathfrak{E}}=\vec{E} + \mathrm{i} \vec{B}.[/tex]
    This makes use of the group-isomorphism [itex]\mathrm{SO}(1,3)^{\uparrow} \simeq \mathrm{SO}(3,\mathbb{C}).[/itex]

Thus the product
    [tex]\vec{\mathfrak{E}}^2=\vec{E}^2-\vec{B}^2 + 2\mathrm{i} \vec{E} \cdot \vec{B}[/tex]
    is Lorentz invariant wrt. to proper orthochronous Lorentz transformations, and indeed also the four-vector formalism shows that the corresponding invariants given by the real and imaginary part of the bivector scalar product are proportional to the invariants [itex]F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma} F^{\mu \nu} F^{\rho \sigma}=F^{\mu \nu} F^{\dagger}_{\mu \nu}[/itex].

A nice review on this funny bivector formalism can be found here:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.1218

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted