Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weak Interactions

1. Jun 22, 2010 #1
    I understand that the Colour Force is described by Quantum Chromodynamics, Electromagnetism is described by Quantum Electrodynamics and Gravity will hopefully be described by a Quantum Gravity Theory but currently General Relativity. But what Theory describes the Electroweak Interaction? Is there any specific theory or is it described in Electroweak-Symmetry?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2010 #2
    I am not sure if I understood your question correctly but if by electroweak symmetry you mean SU(2)xU(1), then yes. It is generally called Weinberg-Salam or Glashow-Weinberg-Salam model of electroweak interaction.

4. Jun 22, 2010 #3
    Sorry if I confused you, what I was trying to say is that is the Theory that describes Weak Interactions essentially just described in Electroweak Model or does it have it's own theory?Namely, The Weak Theory (synonymous to Quantum Electrodynamics, Quantum Chromodynamics, Quantum Gravity).

5. Jun 22, 2010 #4
    Physiana gave you the correct answer, although just "Electroweak" works too.

6. Jun 22, 2010 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I've sometimes seen the name "Quantum Flavordynamics" (QFD), although I don't think it's in widespread use.

7. Jun 23, 2010 #6
    I don't believe I've heard that before, but on the assumption that it is confusing to the laity, and fanciful, it has my meaningless yet enthusiastic support. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook