1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weakly Coupled Oscillators

1. Oct 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two simple pendulums os equal lenght L=1m are connected with spring with a spring constant K=0,05 Mg/L. The pendulums are started by realeasing one of them from a displaced position. The subsequent motion is characterized by an oscillatory energy exchange between the pendulums. What is te period of this transfer?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In this situation, as a pendulum is displaced and the another is static, I suppose that when the amplitude of pendulum 1 is a maximum, the amplitude of pendulum 2 is minimum, because the result is displaying "beat" frequency. That's correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Why ask ?

4. Oct 25, 2016 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. When the amplitude of one of the pendula is zero, the amplitude of the other is maximal. This follows directly from energy conservation.

5. Oct 25, 2016 #4
    Well, just to get rid of the doubt.

Them, starting from the equation of position, and I found that the maximum values of the amplitude for the pendulum 1 occurs when:

επ(t/T) = nπ ---> t/T = n/ε

The time between maxima is T/ε, inversely proportional to the coupling spring constant.

And for the pendulum 2 when:

επ(t/T) = (2n +1)* π/2 ---> t/T = (2n+1)/2ε

Them, I stuck in here. Can I relate that with period of transfer in the oscillatory energy exchange in some way?

6. Oct 25, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good. So what's this exercise ? In a chapter on differential equations, on Larangian mechanics, a lab instruction preparation perhaps ?

The motion described is asymmetric and one can expect the pendulum that's initially immobile to start swingning too.
    There are simple modes possible where there is no transfer; can you guess which ? Wht are their frequencies ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted