Tire Lug Wear: Understanding Flat Lugs on New and Worn Tires

• Thread starter gvalch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tire
In summary, the tires on a car may wear flat if the lug nuts are not properly tightened or if the wheel is unbalanced. The tire may also wear unevenly if the suspension is not in good condition.
gvalch
Hello!

I have some basic questions about tire surfaces..specifically the lugs and I wonder if anyone can help. They are:

1) On a new tire, are the lugs flat?
2) On a worn tire, are the lugs flat?

I understand there are a variety of different tire wear conditions that can affect the tire both circumferentially and latitudinally. But I'm specifically asking about wear across the lug surface.

Thank you!
GV

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you are referring to here. Tire lugs and lug nuts are what secure the wheel and tire assembly to the axle of a car. If properly secured, there should be no wear to the lugs, i.e., the lugs should last the life of the car.

If you are referring to something about the tire that wears, perhaps a more detailed description could provide greater clarity.

Across the face of the lug, it is possible for some lugs to be flat or wear flat, but in general they will have a rounded surface circumferentially. Of course, the contact patch will be pretty flat. Bad shocks or suspension parts may cause odd patterns, but I wouldn't expect a truly flat surface, although an exception may crop up if the lug is small enough. Why would you expect a rolling tire to create a flat lug?

Steamking, I believe the OP is referring to the tire tread as lugs. Off-road tires in particular refer to lugs.

Highspeed said:
Across the face of the lug, it is possible for some lugs to be flat or wear flat, but in general they will have a rounded surface circumferentially. Of course, the contact patch will be pretty flat. Bad shocks or suspension parts may cause odd patterns, but I wouldn't expect a truly flat surface, although an exception may crop up if the lug is small enough. Why would you expect a rolling tire to create a flat lug?

Steamking, I believe the OP is referring to the tire tread as lugs. Off-road tires in particular refer to lugs.

Thanks for the clarification, Highspeed.

Gvalch - like Highspeed said, unusual wear patterns on the surface of the tire, like flat spots, are indications of problems in the suspension of the vehicle, like shock absorbers which no longer function, or mis-alignment or wear in suspension components.

Non round tires are common. The rule of thumb is 0.030" run out on the tread. Production tires are not to good off the tire mold to begin with.
The biggest problem with tire wear is improper inflation. I won may a $ 100 bet with bar flies in the bar that I could not find ten cars in the parking lot with under inflated tires. Same with proper engine oil levels but that is another story.
check out attached photo.
Tire balance is the second biggest problem and can cut the tires until they flat spot.

Add to this the typical McPherson strut front suspension and road surfaces with lots of pot holes and the steering alignment goes pretty quick. Same on t he rear with poor quality suspension on low end vehicles.
Alignment- Castor , camber and toe in should be maintained to factory specifications. When ball joints and tie rod ends wear you have a pulsation compounded by up and down movement of the spring/ shock (damper) assembly.

One big cause of flat spots is locking the brakes up and skidding to a stop usually under panic conditions. Once the tire is flat spotted it only gets worse with wear.

Attachments

• flat 001.jpg
    flat 001.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 527
Thanks for the help!

-GV

Most passenger tires have a tread depth of 9 to 13 16ths of an inch, consistently from side to side. If inflated to the correct pressure and mounted on an aligned vehicle, the tire should wear evenly.

and properly balanced...

Ranger Mike said:
and properly balanced...

How would a tire wear on an unbalanced wheel? Would it be similar to a tire mounted to a bent wheel?

out of balance condition is probably the biggest cause of tire wear followed by under inflation or close to it..i would probably put under inflation as number one but they are the two main reasons..it really takes a lot to wad up front end components to mess up camber or toe in...
pot holes can bend a rim but it really takes a lot to do it and you darn sure know when you got a bent rim..same without of balance..under inflation usually has tell tale symptom of pulling to one side...
out of balance causes wear, if you think about it ..by causing the tire to rotate both axially and radially versus tracking " straight forward" as in the case of balanced tire. Causes the tire to shimmy and ' squirm" back and forth as well as rotating in the direction of travel. This scrubbing action causes excessive tire wear in the most unbalanced tire area and this wears this portion of the tire excessively more than the other tread portion and scallops the tire. see attached pic in my post above

1. What causes flat lugs on new tires?

Flat lugs on new tires are typically caused by manufacturing defects or improper installation. It could also be a result of the tire being stored or transported incorrectly.

2. Are flat lugs on new tires dangerous?

Flat lugs on new tires can lead to decreased traction and handling, making them potentially dangerous. It is important to have them inspected and replaced if necessary.

3. Can tire rotation prevent flat lugs on worn tires?

Tire rotation can help prevent flat lugs on worn tires by evenly distributing the wear and tear on the tread. However, it is not a guarantee and other factors such as driving habits and road conditions also play a role.

4. What is the ideal tread depth to prevent flat lugs on tires?

The ideal tread depth to prevent flat lugs on tires is 2/32 of an inch. Once the tread depth reaches this point, it is recommended to replace the tire to maintain safe driving conditions.

5. Can flat lugs be repaired or do the tires need to be replaced?

Unfortunately, flat lugs cannot be repaired and the tires will need to be replaced. Continuing to drive on tires with flat lugs can be dangerous and compromise the overall performance of the tire.