Wear of rollers between two slides, angled.

• Thread starter tectactoe
  • Start date
In summary: To accurately calculate the wear and potential failure of the rollers, it may be necessary to refer to principles of dynamics.
tectactoe
Working with a sliding system for a pull out rack and here's a problem I started thinking about.

[PLAIN]http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8418/rollers.png [Broken]

Sorry for the awful picture, it's extremely basic, but hopefully enough to get my point across. The picture shows two SS pieces (304 or 430, can't remember...) in silver. The drawing is facing them dead-on, so they run along the plane you're looking. The rollers are pressed between them, angled, and are Delrin plastic. The rollers allow the members to slide (obviously :-p) along each other.

My question is, if a downward force is applied to the top steel member, after many, many times of sliding the two members back and forth, over and over, the rollers will start to wear. But will they wear uniformly along their sides, or will they wear more in the bottom inside / top outside corners due to them being on an angle?

I've been pondering this, trying logic, since I'm not exactly sure how to go about calculating out this mess... Perhaps I need to drag out the ol' Dynamics book. Any ideas or suggestions or thoughts are appreciated and welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is likely that the rollers will wear more in the bottom inside/top outside corners due to them being on an angle. This is because when a downward force is applied, the bottom inside corner of the roller would be pushed down harder than the top outside corner and thus would experience more friction. Over time, this will cause the bottom inside corner of the roller to wear down more quickly than the other corners.

What causes wear of rollers between two slides?

The most common cause of wear in this scenario is friction between the rollers and the slides. This friction can be caused by factors such as misalignment, inadequate lubrication, or excessive load.

How can wear of rollers between two slides be prevented?

To prevent wear, it is important to ensure proper alignment of the rollers and slides, use an appropriate lubricant, and avoid overloading the rollers. Regular maintenance and inspection can also help identify and address any potential issues before they lead to wear.

What are the consequences of wear in this system?

Excessive wear can result in decreased efficiency, increased downtime, and potentially costly repairs or replacements. It can also affect the overall performance and lifespan of the equipment.

Can wear of rollers between two slides be repaired?

In some cases, wear can be repaired by replacing the worn components or adjusting the alignment. However, in severe cases, it may be necessary to replace the entire system to ensure proper functioning.

Are there any safety concerns related to wear of rollers between two slides?

In situations where the wear has significantly compromised the integrity of the system, there may be safety concerns. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the equipment to prevent any potential accidents or injuries from occurring.