Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wearing a toga to class

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So hopefully next semester i'll start my TAship and i'm faced with the question that has probably faced every TA before me. Do i wear a toga school from now on? Maybe at least to the first week of lab or first day? Studies1 have shown that lecturer's wearing togas and other ancient clothing increases student focus 10% and grades 15%.

DSCF98711.jpg
    Grad student wearing a toga.

1. http://www.science.com/my_dream_last_night.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2
    You have to be a TA, HAAA-HAAA.

4. Apr 15, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

*GET. I GET to be a TA. I get the privilege of babysitting undergrads for slightly over minimum wage and 0 access to a refrigerator full of food.

5. Apr 15, 2009 #4
    Hahaha, enjoy it. Someday you'll get an RA, like a real man. You should be an aerospace engineer. Were going to NASA langley, and instead of driving all the way down the CEO of the company is going to fly us there in his personal airplane. There's still time to change you know.... I'm just saying.

6. Apr 15, 2009 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Our university isn't a research university, just a masters program, and thus, no RA's.

I don't know whats so great about getting a TAship. I could go get a real part-time job for more money.

7. Apr 15, 2009 #6
    My friend has been working as a TA and making quite a bit of money. Maybe it has to do with the class and the school.

8. Apr 15, 2009 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get paid like $27 an hour for being a TA, and will be up to $30 an hour next year.

Only an idiot wouldn't TA over here. Get 10 hours a week, and you lock in $300 a week. Not even including everything else.

9. Apr 15, 2009 #8
    Wow, that's some pretty good pay...I wish I made that much at my job! (Heck I would settle making half of what you make)

10. Apr 15, 2009 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Only for classical mechanics

11. Apr 15, 2009 #10
    Wow, those are good hourly rates. Here its min wage.

12. Apr 15, 2009 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does it include preparation/marking time - or only 'in front of the student' hours?
    That's why I always did lab demonstrating - it's all paid time.

13. Apr 15, 2009 #12
    forgive me for asking a stupid question, so that hourly rate is on top of the stipend?

14. Apr 15, 2009 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get paid for everything. Prep, marking and everything. Usually they allocate hours for marking but usually they give you more hours than required, so I'm making free money. This only works if you're experienced.

Yes, it's on top of the money they already give me.

15. Apr 15, 2009 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Screw the money. If you get to wear a toga to work, it's worth it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook