1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weather forecasting

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1
    In my Precalcules class this month being the end of the school year our teacher told us that we have to do this project based on probability. And I was told to pick a topic that is an interest's me. I thougt this was going to be easy so I choose the weather predicting project. Our teacher told us that we have to do a reasearch today and we were going to diuscuss this in class. I search at google I don't know why when I searched "using satistics and probablity to predict the wather" I did not get not much of an info. So if you would be so help full to help me out with the web sites that might provide me some information that would be really greate. Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have heard it claimed that you can do a better job of predicting the weather, then the weather man, simply by predicting, "No change". That is, that the weather will be the same tomorrow as it is today.

I don't now, maybe you can use that, since you are looking at statistics.
  4. Jun 2, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about dropping a needle (repeatedly) onto a ruled sheet of paper and using the probability of the needle crossing a line to estimate [itex]\pi[/itex]? :)
  5. Jun 2, 2006 #4
  6. Jun 2, 2006 #5

Staff: Mentor

Regarding weather prediction -

Basic explanation of "percent chance of rain"

More complicated use of probability -

More general information -
    http://vathena.arc.nasa.gov/curric/weather/hsweathr/ - general

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/ - fairly complicated
  7. Jun 2, 2006 #6
    Astronuc the web sites that you gave me were very helpfull thanks a lot!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?