Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weather prediction

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

So a storm is going to hit the UK on Monday, and i have seen various predictions to its severity, these vary from worst storm this year to worst storm in 100yrs, it will be interesting to see who is right, i hope it turns out to be a storm in a tea cup.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2
    I use a weather rock.
    If its wet its raining, if it vanishes its a flood!

4. Mar 8, 2008 #3
    Wolram, I'm in the UK. DO you think it may mean school is cancelled? o:)

5. Mar 8, 2008 #4
    Well the storms in the late 80's were pretty hard to top, so I think it might be a bit breezy but not the gusting up to 160mph, average 110mph we got back then. Who knows, we'll survive.

During that big storm we left some paint cans outside, lids not well attached, they flew from our back garden over the house and into the street out front, without spilling anything in the process, not even in the street. Now that was weird.

Only if the streets are blocked by tree falls. And even then some people made it in, I was at college back in the late 80's and I still made it in, on a bike, yes I was more suicidal back then, but going at 40mph along the road with a tail wind was a lot of fun.

6. Mar 8, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Come hell or high water i would make you go to school, i wish i had not been such a truant.

7. Mar 8, 2008 #6
    People doss off school at the sight of a few snow flakes where I am! My parents have a four wheel drive, no such luck for me! I have 4 frees, 2 Biology Lessons, and a Triple Business but the teacher isn't in so he told us to watch a movie...

8. Mar 8, 2008 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Well that sucks, but at least you have made the effort, if you want to learn you will, and i am sure you will become better person for it, i just wish i had taken the time to learn, i am just so ignorant.

9. Mar 8, 2008 #8
    Worlds largest dosser myself, and how much do you regret that later? At one point it was all so easy I slid into a coma that my stupidity never recovered from.

10. Mar 8, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

The truth is i can not answer that, how can one know what others think they know?

11. Mar 8, 2008 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wolram, is the storm due to hit where you are? Is your house safe for such a strong storm?

I just realized that I don't have a basement anymore to go down into if a tornado hits. I guess I will have to jump into the ravine if one is headed my way. :frown:

12. Mar 8, 2008 #11
    You could pick left or right and hope it doesnt follow you. Question: How big are these tornados? I know they may vary in size but where you are situated evo, how big do they get? I mean the larger ones are probably harder to dodge on foot or by car...

13. Mar 10, 2008 #12

wolram

Gold Member

It turned to be a damp squib where i live yes the wind howled but nothing any were near dangerous.

14. Mar 10, 2008 #13

Art

It was supposed to hit us here in Ireland last night but apart from a few gusts of wind and some rain, which is hardly unusual, there was nothing of note. Looks like the forecasters got this one wrong.

Edit It seems most of the high winds never made land but have kicked up some large waves which the UK is concerned will act in concert with high tide around noon today to breach some seawalls; then again I live a stone's throw from the sea and it doesn't look any rougher than usual today.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?