What is the net force on a weather rocket during its flight?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a small rocket gathering weather data by launching straight up. The rocket's velocity and acceleration are given, along with its mass and rate of mass loss. The task is to find the net force on the rocket using Newton's second law in a new form introduced in the chapter. The use of the product rule is suggested as a hint to solve the problem.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A small rocket to gather weather data is launched straight up. Several seconds into the flight, its velocity is 120 m/s and it is accelerating at 18 m/s^2. At this instant, the rocket's mass is 48 kg and it is losing mass at the rate of .5 kg/s as it burns fuel. What is the net force on the rocket? Hint: Newton's second law was presented in a new form in this chapter

Homework Equations

p=mv F=dmv/dt F=dp/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to come up with a formula for momentum with respect to time and then differentiate it to find force, but it's not making sense to me.

I tried to say that at this instant dm/dt= -.5 and dv/dt = 18 and then I tried to multiply those but that clearly is not correct reasoning. I'm pretty sure I'm not looking at this problem right. Any hints?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

bcjochim07 said:
I tried to say that at this instant dm/dt= -.5 and dv/dt = 18 and then I tried to multiply those but that clearly is not correct reasoning. I'm pretty sure I'm not looking at this problem right. Any hints?

Hi bcjochim07 ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

A hint? :rolleyes: … yes! …

Product rule: d(mv)/dt = mdv/dt + vdm/dt. :smile:

Oh yes, I see. Thank you very much!

1. What is the purpose of a weather rocket?

A weather rocket is a type of instrument used to collect data about the Earth's atmosphere. It is designed to measure various atmospheric parameters such as temperature, pressure, humidity, and wind speed at different altitudes. This data is then used to improve weather forecasting and understand the Earth's climate patterns.

2. How does a weather rocket work?

A weather rocket is launched into the Earth's atmosphere and measures atmospheric conditions as it ascends. It typically consists of a payload, which contains the instruments for collecting data, and a propulsion system to reach high altitudes. The data is transmitted back to the ground station via radio signals and can also be recorded for later analysis.

3. What is the significance of the weather rocket problem?

The weather rocket problem is a mathematical and scientific challenge that aims to optimize the trajectory of a weather rocket to collect the most accurate and useful data. It involves finding the best combination of launch angle, initial velocity, and payload weight to reach the desired altitude and gather the necessary data. Solving this problem can lead to more efficient and accurate weather predictions.

4. What are the main challenges in launching a weather rocket?

The main challenges in launching a weather rocket include predicting weather conditions, selecting the appropriate launch site, and ensuring the rocket's safety. Weather conditions such as high winds or storms can affect the rocket's trajectory and potentially damage the payload. The launch site must also be carefully chosen to ensure the rocket can reach the desired altitude without causing harm to people or property.

5. How can the data collected from weather rockets be used?

The data collected from weather rockets is used for various purposes, including improving weather forecasting models, studying climate change, and understanding atmospheric processes. It can also be used to track severe weather events, such as hurricanes and tornadoes, and provide early warnings to communities. Additionally, the data is used by scientists to study the Earth's atmosphere and make informed decisions about environmental policies and regulations.