1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weather Rocket Problem

1. Mar 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small rocket to gather weather data is launched straight up. Several seconds into the flight, its velocity is 120 m/s and it is accelerating at 18 m/s^2. At this instant, the rocket's mass is 48 kg and it is losing mass at the rate of .5 kg/s as it burns fuel. What is the net force on the rocket? Hint: Newton's second law was presented in a new form in this chapter

2. Relevant equations
    p=mv F=dmv/dt F=dp/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to come up with a formula for momentum with respect to time and then differentiate it to find force, but it's not making sense to me.

I tried to say that at this instant dm/dt= -.5 and dv/dt = 18 and then I tried to multiply those but that clearly is not correct reasoning. I'm pretty sure I'm not looking at this problem right. Any hints?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi bcjochim07 ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

A hint? :rolleyes: … yes! …

Product rule: d(mv)/dt = mdv/dt + vdm/dt. :smile:

4. Mar 29, 2008 #3
    Oh yes, I see. Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?