Is it possible to earn a physics degree online?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to pursue physics courses and possibly get a degree or certificate online. However, the other participants in the conversation express doubts about the feasibility of online courses for subjects that require labs and suggest that science majors may not be suitable for online learning.
Igren
I currently work in a completely unrelated field and ma not interested in a career change. I graduated from UF with a bachelors and masters in management. There is still a huge void I am feeling these days that I never took my love for physics seriously enough. I would like to take some physics courses and possibly get a degree or certificate from some institution. Are there any accredited or non-accredited physics courses or degrees I can take completely online? If there are please email me directly with any information or respond here. Its obviously easier to get me at my personal email.

justin@thunder-lizard.com

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh, no. You sign up to a forum, you come here to read replies. That's the way it works. =S

I doubt there will be any good courses. A part of physics are labs. Those need to be done in groups and with materials. Kinda hard to do it over the net.

PL

You can't do any of the natural sciences of engineering online. Too much of it involves labs. If you do find an online physics program it won't be accredited.

Yep. I think labs are almost as important as the classes. I know there would be some stuff I couldn't quite grasp during the lectures. Then I would make the lab the next day and see how obvious the material was.

I think most science majors would be not worth it to do online.

1. What is a web-based physics degree?

A web-based physics degree is a degree program in which the majority of coursework is completed online, rather than in a traditional classroom setting. Students typically attend virtual lectures, participate in online discussions, and complete assignments and exams remotely.

2. Are web-based physics degrees as rigorous as traditional degrees?

Yes, web-based physics degrees are just as rigorous as traditional degrees. The curriculum and coursework are the same, and students are held to the same academic standards. The only difference is the mode of instruction.

3. Can I still get hands-on experience with a web-based physics degree?

Yes, many web-based physics degree programs offer hands-on laboratory experiences that can be completed remotely. These labs often utilize virtual simulations or remote experiments to provide students with practical experience.

4. Are web-based physics degrees recognized by employers?

Yes, web-based physics degrees are typically recognized by employers just like traditional degrees. As long as the program is accredited, the degree holds the same value as one earned in a traditional classroom setting.

5. Can I earn a web-based physics degree faster than a traditional degree?

It is possible to earn a web-based physics degree faster than a traditional degree, but this depends on the individual program and the student's pace. Some programs offer accelerated options, while others follow a traditional semester schedule. It is important to research the specific program to determine the expected timeline for completion.