Web Browser Poll

  • Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date

What Browser Are You Using?

  • Internet Explorer

    Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Mozilla Firefox

    Votes: 34 57.6%
  • Safari

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Opera

    Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Other

    Votes: 1 1.7%

  • Total voters
    59
  • #1
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
1,901
3
Which browser do you use? If your using IE you should consider switching to firefox:

http://www.mozilla.org/
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
mattmns
1,118
6
I use Firefox (fx) on windows xp and linux. However, I have been recently trying out Konqueror on linux, as the fx mouse gestures are funky on linux (for me anyway).
If you are using IE, you should consider switching to anything that is NOT Internet Explorer :smile:
 
Last edited:
  • #3
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
841
15
firefox all the way baby!
 
  • #4
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
1,901
3
Kerrie said:
firefox all the way baby!

Yeah, let's stick it to Evo for not wanting to switch. :rofl:
 
  • #5
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
I hear Microsoft is trying to make a big step with IE7. Tabbed browsing, "real security"... some other crap... probably won't work so I am sticken with Da Fox.
 
  • #6
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
1,901
3
Pengwuino said:
I hear Microsoft is trying to make a big step with IE7. Tabbed browsing, "real security"... some other crap... probably won't work so I am sticken with Da Fox.

I guess you haven't been hearing what people have been saying about IE7

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47208/47208.html

"My advice is simple: Boycott IE. It's a cancer on the Web that must be stopped. IE isn't secure and isn't standards-compliant, which makes it unworkable both for end users and Web content creators. Because of their user bases, however, Web developers are hamstrung into developing for IE at the expense of established standards that work well in all other browsers. You can turn the tide by demanding more from Microsoft and by using a better alternative Web browser. I recommend and use Mozilla Firefox, but Apple Safari (Macintosh only) and Opera 8 are both worth considering as well."
 
  • #7
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
dduardo said:
Yeah, let's stick it to Evo for not wanting to switch. :rofl:
I can't switch! Besides, I get to use "special" stuff that you guys can't. <sticks tongue out>

But I agree with dduardo, mere mortals should use firefox. :biggrin:
 
  • #8
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
Its a beta though, how can you judge a beta.

Oh wait its microsoft, retail and beta mean the same thing
 
  • #10
mattmns
1,118
6
Evo said:
I can't switch! Besides, I get to use "special" stuff that you guys can't. <sticks tongue out>

But I agree with dduardo, mere mortals should use firefox. :biggrin:
You get to use "special stuff"? Did not you say a while ago that your IE at work does not even have tabs? Tabs in the sense of firefox's tabs, not tasbar buttons :smile:
 
  • #11
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
1,901
3
For those who want a peak at IE7 here is a screenshot:

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/ie7_promo_b1xp.jpg [Broken]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #12
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
Pengwuino said:
Its a beta though, how can you judge a beta.

Oh wait its microsoft, retail and beta mean the same thing
:rofl: True. Microsoft refers to their customers as the "vast unpaid research department". :wink:

But most of you weren't working on computers before Windows, I was. :grumpy:
 
  • #13
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
1,901
3
Pengwuino said:
Its a beta though, how can you judge a beta.

Oh wait its microsoft, retail and beta mean the same thing

Microsoft has already stated too that they are not going to be adding any major CSS functionality to IE7. All they are doing is "just enough" to appease home users. Microsoft is giving the big FU to all developers. This really sucks for developers like me who want to build richer websites but get held back by IE.
 
  • #14
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
mattmns said:
You get to use "special stuff"? Did not you say a while ago that your IE at work does not even have tabs? Tabs in the sense of firefox's tabs, not tasbar buttons :smile:
I also don't have any problems with the "buttons" as you call them. Yes, what I use for work is a bit different from what is on the market.
 
  • #15
TheStatutoryApe
260
4
Currently I am using the browser that is in Outlook. A stripped down version of IE it seems like to me. On my own computer I prefer Opera though.
 
  • #16
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
Aww, my Norton anti-virus just popped up and said it detected a worm trying to install itself and blocked it. :!) God bless it.
 
  • #17
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
Evo said:
:rofl: True. Microsoft refers to their customers as the "vast unpaid research department". :wink:

But most of you weren't working on computers before Windows, I was. :grumpy:
:rofl:

Well, I was playing around with computers before windows, mostly playing Jeopardy and writing English papers (that printed on a dot matrix printer). Oh, wait, and there was the Commodore 64, and programming in BASIC to make Mr. Bo Jangles (the stick figure that danced). :biggrin: But, yeah, I think "working" with computers began with Windows 3.11 for me. Well, college assignments were done on those little square Mac pluses. I remember thinking they were way too fast to read while scrolling down a page. :rofl:
 
  • #18
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
1,901
3
Evo, are you using the built in window's firewall? It could be the worm I posted in my Internet Alert:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=85159
 
Last edited:
  • #19
mattmns
1,118
6
Evo said:
Aww, my Norton anti-virus just popped up and said it detected a worm trying to install itself and blocked it. :!) God bless it.
That is terrible, luckily you have Norton. I hope everyone that is using IE has Norton or another AntiVirus detector, because as you pointed out you never know what will automatically install by itself when using IE.
 
  • #20
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
mattmns said:
That is terrible, luckily you have Norton. I hope everyone that is using IE has Norton or another AntiVirus detector, because as you pointed out you never know what will automatically install by itself when using IE.
I'm not foolish enough to use IE and not have something like Norton enabled.

I had a Commodore 64, I believe it's still in the basement.
 
  • #21
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
dduardo said:
Microsoft has already stated too that they are not going to be adding any major CSS functionality to IE7. All they are doing is "just enough" to appease home users. Microsoft is giving the big FU to all developers. This really sucks for developers like me who want to build richer websites but get held back by IE.
Well, I think everyone should just start developing websites that look wonderful with the other browsers and don't work with IE. When people can't access anything on the web anymore, maybe they'll finally switch, or Microsoft will be forced to do something about it. :devil: Besides, it'll keep the AOL users away. :biggrin:
 
  • #22
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
dduardo said:
Evo, are you using the built in window's firewall? I could be the worm I posted in my Internet Alert:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=85159
No, a friend installed something else. It was my Symantec software that caught the worm. I wasn't even doing anything.
 
  • #23
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
dduardo said:
Evo, are you using the built in window's firewall? I could be the worm I posted in my Internet Alert:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=85159
:rofl: :rofl: dduardo is the worm! :rofl: :rofl:
 
  • #24
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
Moonbear said:
:rofl: :rofl: dduardo is the worm! :rofl: :rofl:

Ok dduardo, if you're that serious I'll switch, really. :wink:
 
  • #25
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
1,901
3
Evo said:
But most of you weren't working on computers before Windows, I was. :grumpy:

I have been surrounded by Unix my whole life. My dad used at&t unix at work and was the person who brought linux to the house. Also, when I was in elementary school I used Apple computers.
 
Last edited:
  • #26
mattmns
1,118
6
My dad had a commodore 64 when I was a kid. I am not sure of how it worked, all I know is that I used it to play games on it.
 
  • #27
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
1,901
3
Moonbear said:
:rofl: :rofl: dduardo is the worm! :rofl: :rofl:

Are you happy, I fixed it. :grumpy:
 
  • #28
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
dduardo said:
Are you happy, I fixed it. :grumpy:
It was funnier with the typo. Just getting even for some wisecracks I owed you for. :biggrin: :devil:
 
  • #29
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
It's too late, half of PF now believes that dduardo is sending them computer worms. You know how rumors get started... :biggrin:
 
  • #30
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
Ah, here it is again, it's "The Thing" trojan horse. I wonder what it tries to do?
 
  • #31
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
1,901
3
You should be using a real firewall. One that can do stateful packet inspection and block syn attacks. Someone could easily disable your internet connection.
 
  • #32
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
Evo said:
Ah, here it is again, it's "The Thing" trojan horse. I wonder what it tries to do?
Does it look anything like a penguin? :tongue:

If you spray the computer liberally with bug spray, that'll keep any worms from infecting it. There may be side effects similar to spitting coffee on the computer though.
 
  • #33
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
Moonbear said:
Does it look anything like a penguin? :tongue:
It DOES look like a penguin!
 
Last edited:
  • #34
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
1,901
3
It's your fault your using Wndows. You could atleast get a Mac.
 
  • #35
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
dduardo said:
It's your fault your using Wndows. You could atleast get a Mac.
This is my daughter's computer.

They don't give us Mac's at work, everything is Windows based.
 

Suggested for: Web Browser Poll

  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
408
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
15
Views
773
Replies
18
Views
1K
Replies
102
Views
6K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
526
Replies
9
Views
898
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
964
  • Last Post
Replies
21
Views
2K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
14
Views
1K
Top