Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Web Browser Poll

1. Internet Explorer

19 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Mozilla Firefox

34 vote(s)
    57.6%
  3. Safari

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. Opera

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Aug 15, 2005 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Which browser do you use? If your using IE you should consider switching to firefox:

http://www.mozilla.org/

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2005 #2
    I use Firefox (fx) on windows xp and linux. However, I have been recently trying out Konqueror on linux, as the fx mouse gestures are funky on linux (for me anyway).
    If you are using IE, you should consider switching to anything that is NOT Internet Explorer :smile:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  4. Aug 15, 2005 #3

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

firefox all the way baby!

5. Aug 15, 2005 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Yeah, let's stick it to Evo for not wanting to switch. :rofl:

6. Aug 15, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I hear Microsoft is trying to make a big step with IE7. Tabbed browsing, "real security"... some other crap.... probably won't work so im sticken with Da Fox.

7. Aug 15, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I guess you haven't been hearing what people have been saying about IE7

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47208/47208.html

"My advice is simple: Boycott IE. It's a cancer on the Web that must be stopped. IE isn't secure and isn't standards-compliant, which makes it unworkable both for end users and Web content creators. Because of their user bases, however, Web developers are hamstrung into developing for IE at the expense of established standards that work well in all other browsers. You can turn the tide by demanding more from Microsoft and by using a better alternative Web browser. I recommend and use Mozilla Firefox, but Apple Safari (Macintosh only) and Opera 8 are both worth considering as well."

8. Aug 15, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I can't switch! Besides, I get to use "special" stuff that you guys can't. <sticks tongue out>

But I agree with dduardo, mere mortals should use firefox. :biggrin:

9. Aug 15, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Its a beta though, how can you judge a beta.

Oh wait its microsoft, retail and beta mean the same thing

10. Aug 15, 2005 #9
  11. Aug 15, 2005 #10
    You get to use "special stuff"? Did not you say a while ago that your IE at work does not even have tabs? Tabs in the sense of firefox's tabs, not tasbar buttons :smile:

12. Aug 15, 2005 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

13. Aug 15, 2005 #12

Evo

:rofl: True. Microsoft refers to their customers as the "vast unpaid research department". :wink:

But most of you weren't working on computers before Windows, I was. :grumpy:

14. Aug 15, 2005 #13

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Microsoft has already stated too that they are not going to be adding any major CSS functionality to IE7. All they are doing is "just enough" to appease home users. Microsoft is giving the big FU to all developers. This really sucks for developers like me who want to build richer websites but get held back by IE.

15. Aug 15, 2005 #14

Evo

I also don't have any problems with the "buttons" as you call them. Yes, what I use for work is a bit different from what is on the market.

16. Aug 15, 2005 #15
    Currently I am using the browser that is in Outlook. A stripped down version of IE it seems like to me. On my own computer I prefer Opera though.

17. Aug 15, 2005 #16

Evo

Aww, my Norton anti-virus just popped up and said it detected a worm trying to install itself and blocked it. :!!) God bless it.

18. Aug 15, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Well, I was playing around with computers before windows, mostly playing Jeopardy and writing English papers (that printed on a dot matrix printer). Oh, wait, and there was the Commodore 64, and programming in BASIC to make Mr. Bo Jangles (the stick figure that danced). :biggrin: But, yeah, I think "working" with computers began with Windows 3.11 for me. Well, college assignments were done on those little square Mac pluses. I remember thinking they were way too fast to read while scrolling down a page. :rofl:

19. Aug 15, 2005 #18

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  20. Aug 15, 2005 #19
    That is terrible, luckily you have Norton. I hope everyone that is using IE has Norton or another AntiVirus detector, because as you pointed out you never know what will automatically install by itself when using IE.

21. Aug 15, 2005 #20

Evo

I'm not foolish enough to use IE and not have something like Norton enabled.

I had a Commodore 64, I believe it's still in the basement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?