• Opera

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
*Kia*
Gold Member
faust9 said:
Then try coding to web standards and cross browser problems will be minimized to the point of almost non-existant. IE(Internet Explorer) is a bug ridden virus waiting to happen. And tabbed browsing is infinetly more productive than non-tabbed. Imagine a page with multiple links---say a uC site with 18 versions of the same chip. Hold the apple key(I'm a mac user so you can take the MS-specific non-standard HTML and stick it where the sun doesn't shine) and click through all of the variations. Hold down apple+option and arrow through each of the open tabs---easy and quicker than opening links in different windows(organization wise) and much much quicker than using forward and backward history.

Now, please tell me(us) how firefox is behind IE? Well FF is well behind the virus curve but other than that how is it inferior? Tell me how Camino is less 'clunky' than IE on windows.... You can't.

Quite simply I don't like it, they are all chunky and childlike with bold colours big buttons and I'm sorry but tabbed browsing is not nice.

Oh and my coding... is of web standards hence the extra coding for those browsers that misinterpret basic scripting (which IE does not misinterpret), oh Yeah and I verify with W3C, so if your browser cant support basic web standard coding - not my problem

*Kia*
Gold Member
hitssquad said:
Using a non-tabbed browser doesn't mean you have to use only the forward backward history. You can do what you described without tabs. To open links in new windows on PC running IE, click while holding the shift key down.
Hold about - mine opens links in new windows anyway - it's a user preference

*Kia*
Gold Member
mattmns said:
Well you are one of the few I would say. Personally I do not even like touching my keyboard while browsing. And if I were to use the taskbar with IE, I would have to click twice just to get to a new page. Personally I use rocker mouse gestures on firefox as this allows me to quickly scroll through tabs, and if I am lazy I just move the mouse and click the tab I want.
You need a PROPER mouse.
I only single click (again user prefs), I do not have to move my mouse to the back or forward buttons (because they are on my mouse), links open in new windows and it is only a single click to open any window of choosing

*Kia*
Gold Member
dduardo said:
1) You obviously have never used firefox's DOM Inspector, Javascript Console, Web Developer Extension, and the HTML Editor (Based on Tidy) extension. They are indispensible tools for creating websites.

2) I've had to redesign web interfaces to avoid, as hypermorphism so elequently said: lobotomizing my code, just because IE is so crippled.
Why people want to use Javascript is beyond me.
most browsers DON'T support it and the end user can turn it off.
You have to have extra coding to support those browsers so that the code dengenerates "nicely".

Sure javascript can do some niecy nicey special effects but why bother when most users can't benefit?

If you want your users to see something it should all be done server side.

I don't use a HTML editor or any thing like frontpage or dreamweaver.
I code from the ground up.

*Kia*
Gold Member
Monique said:
Actually I find it annoying. First I have to browse through all my directories to save into the right folder (it doesn't remember the last locations and I don't want to save in a single place). Then when it has saved it, I have to go to Windows Explorer and find the file again to launch or unpack it :bugeye:
No, you don't, you can get it to do it there and then.
Oh and in Firefox - the lack of option to OPEN ugh - the only thing you can do is save to disk - very often I don't want to save to disk.

Default locations can be set via user prefs.

Greg Bernhardt said:
... Personally I've never ever encountered any SVG. ... Again, 99% of people will never run into xforms outside Office, it is along way from being used on websites.
These aren't really arguments for or against relatively new technologies. Why would anyone ever need a light bulb with no infrastructure to support it ? :wink:

Last edited:
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
*Kia* said:
Why people want to use Javascript is beyond me.
most browsers DON'T support it and the end user can turn it off.
You have to have extra coding to support those browsers so that the code dengenerates "nicely".

Sure javascript can do some niecy nicey special effects but why bother when most users can't benefit?

If you want your users to see something it should all be done server side.

I don't use a HTML editor or any thing like frontpage or dreamweaver.
I code from the ground up.
Javascript is vital in AJAX applications. Have you ever used google maps? Perhaps you have a gmail account? If you go to big ecommerce site you'll see javascript being used. Go to amazon and look at the source. It's pretty ubiquitous.

Greg Bernhardt said:
... Personally I've never ever encountered any SVG. ...
When I design websites I do my mockups in SVG using Inkscape. I can stretch, rotate or maniplute whatever aspects of the layout without affecting gradients, rounded corners, etc. After mockup I take the svg and export to png for slicing in The Gimp. Once I have sliced all the images I write the appropriate css/html to represent the layout based on the mockups.

I would love to go from mockups in SVG straight to final layout in SVG.