Exploring the Benefits and Uses of SVG in Web Design

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll Web
In summary: I was playing around with computers before windows, mostly playing Jeopardy and writing English papers (that printed on a dot matrix printer). Oh, wait, and there was the Commodore 64, and programming in BASIC to make Mr. Bo Jangles (the stick figure that danced). :biggrin: But, yeah, I think "working" with computers began with Windows 3.11 for me.

What Browser Are You Using?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • Safari

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Opera

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Which browser do you use? If your using IE you should consider switching to firefox:

http://www.mozilla.org/

Physics news on Phys.org
I use Firefox (fx) on windows xp and linux. However, I have been recently trying out Konqueror on linux, as the fx mouse gestures are funky on linux (for me anyway).
If you are using IE, you should consider switching to anything that is NOT Internet Explorer :smile:

Last edited:
firefox all the way baby!

Kerrie said:
firefox all the way baby!

Yeah, let's stick it to Evo for not wanting to switch. :rofl:

I hear Microsoft is trying to make a big step with IE7. Tabbed browsing, "real security"... some other crap... probably won't work so I am sticken with Da Fox.

Pengwuino said:
I hear Microsoft is trying to make a big step with IE7. Tabbed browsing, "real security"... some other crap... probably won't work so I am sticken with Da Fox.

I guess you haven't been hearing what people have been saying about IE7

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47208/47208.html

"My advice is simple: Boycott IE. It's a cancer on the Web that must be stopped. IE isn't secure and isn't standards-compliant, which makes it unworkable both for end users and Web content creators. Because of their user bases, however, Web developers are hamstrung into developing for IE at the expense of established standards that work well in all other browsers. You can turn the tide by demanding more from Microsoft and by using a better alternative Web browser. I recommend and use Mozilla Firefox, but Apple Safari (Macintosh only) and Opera 8 are both worth considering as well."

dduardo said:
Yeah, let's stick it to Evo for not wanting to switch. :rofl:
I can't switch! Besides, I get to use "special" stuff that you guys can't. <sticks tongue out>

But I agree with dduardo, mere mortals should use firefox. :biggrin:

Its a beta though, how can you judge a beta.

Oh wait its microsoft, retail and beta mean the same thing

Evo said:
I can't switch! Besides, I get to use "special" stuff that you guys can't. <sticks tongue out>

But I agree with dduardo, mere mortals should use firefox. :biggrin:
You get to use "special stuff"? Did not you say a while ago that your IE at work does not even have tabs? Tabs in the sense of firefox's tabs, not tasbar buttons :smile:

For those who want a peak at IE7 here is a screenshot:

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/ie7_promo_b1xp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:

:rofl: True. Microsoft refers to their customers as the "vast unpaid research department". :wink:

But most of you weren't working on computers before Windows, I was. :grumpy:

Pengwuino said:

Microsoft has already stated too that they are not going to be adding any major CSS functionality to IE7. All they are doing is "just enough" to appease home users. Microsoft is giving the big FU to all developers. This really sucks for developers like me who want to build richer websites but get held back by IE.

mattmns said:
You get to use "special stuff"? Did not you say a while ago that your IE at work does not even have tabs? Tabs in the sense of firefox's tabs, not tasbar buttons :smile:
I also don't have any problems with the "buttons" as you call them. Yes, what I use for work is a bit different from what is on the market.

Currently I am using the browser that is in Outlook. A stripped down version of IE it seems like to me. On my own computer I prefer Opera though.

Aww, my Norton anti-virus just popped up and said it detected a worm trying to install itself and blocked it. :!) God bless it.

Evo said:
:rofl: True. Microsoft refers to their customers as the "vast unpaid research department". :wink:

:rofl:

Well, I was playing around with computers before windows, mostly playing Jeopardy and writing English papers (that printed on a dot matrix printer). Oh, wait, and there was the Commodore 64, and programming in BASIC to make Mr. Bo Jangles (the stick figure that danced). :biggrin: But, yeah, I think "working" with computers began with Windows 3.11 for me. Well, college assignments were done on those little square Mac pluses. I remember thinking they were way too fast to read while scrolling down a page. :rofl:

Evo, are you using the built in window's firewall? It could be the worm I posted in my Internet Alert:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=85159

Last edited:
Evo said:
Aww, my Norton anti-virus just popped up and said it detected a worm trying to install itself and blocked it. :!) God bless it.
That is terrible, luckily you have Norton. I hope everyone that is using IE has Norton or another AntiVirus detector, because as you pointed out you never know what will automatically install by itself when using IE.

mattmns said:
That is terrible, luckily you have Norton. I hope everyone that is using IE has Norton or another AntiVirus detector, because as you pointed out you never know what will automatically install by itself when using IE.
I'm not foolish enough to use IE and not have something like Norton enabled.

I had a Commodore 64, I believe it's still in the basement.

dduardo said:
Microsoft has already stated too that they are not going to be adding any major CSS functionality to IE7. All they are doing is "just enough" to appease home users. Microsoft is giving the big FU to all developers. This really sucks for developers like me who want to build richer websites but get held back by IE.
Well, I think everyone should just start developing websites that look wonderful with the other browsers and don't work with IE. When people can't access anything on the web anymore, maybe they'll finally switch, or Microsoft will be forced to do something about it. :devil: Besides, it'll keep the AOL users away. :biggrin:

dduardo said:
Evo, are you using the built in window's firewall? I could be the worm I posted in my Internet Alert:

No, a friend installed something else. It was my Symantec software that caught the worm. I wasn't even doing anything.

dduardo said:
Evo, are you using the built in window's firewall? I could be the worm I posted in my Internet Alert:

:rofl: :rofl: dduardo is the worm! :rofl: :rofl:

Moonbear said:

Ok dduardo, if you're that serious I'll switch, really. :wink:

Evo said:

I have been surrounded by Unix my whole life. My dad used at&t unix at work and was the person who brought linux to the house. Also, when I was in elementary school I used Apple computers.

Last edited:
My dad had a commodore 64 when I was a kid. I am not sure of how it worked, all I know is that I used it to play games on it.

Moonbear said:

Are you happy, I fixed it. :grumpy:

dduardo said:
Are you happy, I fixed it. :grumpy:
It was funnier with the typo. Just getting even for some wisecracks I owed you for. :biggrin: :devil:

It's too late, half of PF now believes that dduardo is sending them computer worms. You know how rumors get started... :biggrin:

Ah, here it is again, it's "The Thing" trojan horse. I wonder what it tries to do?

You should be using a real firewall. One that can do stateful packet inspection and block syn attacks. Someone could easily disable your internet connection.

Evo said:
Ah, here it is again, it's "The Thing" trojan horse. I wonder what it tries to do?
Does it look anything like a penguin? :tongue:

If you spray the computer liberally with bug spray, that'll keep any worms from infecting it. There may be side effects similar to spitting coffee on the computer though.

Moonbear said:
Does it look anything like a penguin? :tongue:
It DOES look like a penguin!

Last edited:
It's your fault your using Wndows. You could atleast get a Mac.

dduardo said:
It's your fault your using Wndows. You could atleast get a Mac.
This is my daughter's computer.

They don't give us Mac's at work, everything is Windows based.