Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Web Development - any recommendations?

1. May 18, 2004 #1
    Can somebody recommend any good beginner book on PHP and MySql. And any advice would be appreciated as well.

This one was sent to me and I'm picking it up
    PHP and MySql

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2004 #2

Cod

"PHP and MySQL Web Development, Second Edition" written by Luke Welling & Laura Thomson

"MySQL and PHP: Visual QuickPro Guide" written by Larry Ullman

Those 2 books helped me start learning PHP/SQL development when I was a beginner. Probably the 2 best books related to PHP/SQL I've ever read; and believe me, I've read more than my fair share. Definitely pick them up if you're serious about learning the basic and advanced methods of development using PHP and SQL hand-in-hand. Also, check out some online tutorials from here: http://www.w3schools.com/ . There are abunch of good "Server Side scripting" tutorials at that website you can learn from.

Good luck!

4. May 24, 2004 #3
    Thanks Cod, that was a very good site as well.

5. May 24, 2004 #4
    I think sources or tutorials for web development like script-languages, database like mySQL are also available on the net...You can come to some web development forums and do a search on them...You sure get the results you want...
    I am not learning about web, or it is acutally and absolutely out of my interest...but during the time I went search for some programming languages forums a month ago, search engines brought me a bunch of them..:sm:

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  6. May 25, 2004 #5
    Great to hear you want to learn php! I've been using it for about 2 1/2 years now and its GREAT once you learn a lot of functions. I can't remember a title for the book i used to have but you'd probably be better off getting something up to date anyway :smile: oh and, later on after you master the basics it will just come down to learning functions. Just look them up on PHP.net and if you learn how php.net documents the functions well it wont take you but a few seconds to pick one up and add it to your library.

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  7. May 27, 2004 #6
    Very good advice, Thanks!

8. May 28, 2004 #7
    I started learning php a week ago (and had dabbled in mysql a few months earlier) and found webmonkey and DevShed have some very helpful tutorials for the beginner.

Once you master these the more advanced stuff isn't too hard when combined with the php and mysql manuals.

9. May 28, 2004 #8
    Oh, my!!!
    Those nets !

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  10. Jun 3, 2004 #9
  11. Jun 3, 2004 #10
    I love this book:

Open Source Web Development with LAMP
    by James Lee and Brent Ware

LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL, and Perl/PHP. Here is the book's website:

http://www.opensourcewebbook.com/

It covers a number of other related topics in addition to PHP/MySQL.

The book is not very deep, but it is excellent for beginners. It will give you just enough to get on your feet, and then you can move to other books or web tutorials. The PHP/MySQL parts will show you enough to build your own journal/blog. IMHO, once you understand that exercise, everything else follows pretty easily.

12. Jun 4, 2004 #11
  13. Jun 4, 2004 #12
  14. Jun 4, 2004 #13
    Thanks a lot for helping myself !

15. Jun 4, 2004 #14
    OP! OP! OP! OP! {smiling}
    Get to that site, search for Karl, delve into Rowan, look up for Chris_W, run after JamieJelly etc to learn more about Meanie !!!!!
    Oh yeah, don't ever forget to say Hi to Bradon Elley!

I_wish_I_was_smart, I_wish_I_knew_better !

16. Jun 4, 2004 #15

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

17. Jun 4, 2004 #16
    I_wish_you_made_sense! :wink:

18. Jun 4, 2004 #17
    You wanted me to say more
    No, just an information xchange with those who don't know what I think they should know first of all before laying their hands on the mouse left-clicking and go to pages where the existence of one truely vector is represented in multidimentional spaces...
    Who can recognize which is what ? When they got the truth, Can they say who is who? That is why I listed out such names as examples for people to reference.

I_wish_you_understood! (-_^)

19. Jun 9, 2004 #18
    Basically PHP is just a Server version of JavaScript with different functions. Syntax all the same. except it has a <? and > code tag. Just goto PHP.net for function references, thats all u need...

20. Jun 9, 2004 #19
    int[] $hut_Up = new int [ MAX_VALUE ]; :p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?