Crackpot Test: Identifying Pseudoscientific Theories and Authors

In summary, John Baez's page lists a set of tests used to identify a crackpot, and the alleged crackpot in question scored highly on both points related to the theory being right even if the math is bad, and arguing that a current well-established theory is "only a theory".
belliott4488
I'm sorry - I know this is archived somewhere around here but I couldn't find it ...

Can anyone give me a link for the set of tests used to identify a crackpot (either the theory or its author). I've forgotten who had it on his website - someone at Princeton, maybe??

I've got a live one on another website (not here, thankfully), and I'm thinking I'd like to run the test on him and his ideas, just to see how he scores.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
belliott4488 said:
I'm sorry - I know this is archived somewhere around here but I couldn't find it ...

Can anyone give me a link for the set of tests used to identify a crackpot (either the theory or its author). I've forgotten who had it on his website - someone at Princeton, maybe??

I've got a live one on another website (not here, thankfully), and I'm thinking I'd like to run the test on him and his ideas, just to see how he scores.

Thanks!

I googled the title of your thread, and this was the first hit on the list. Is it the list you remember?

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

berkeman said:
I googled the title of your thread, and this was the first hit on the list. Is it the list you remember?

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

Sheesh - how embarassing. I should have been able to find that - sorry!

Yes, it was indeed John Baez's page that I had remembered.

Thanks!

So a high score is good or bad? He doesn't say!

Trust him to have both bases covered just in case "THEY" are proved right.

15. 10 points for each statement along the lines of "I'm not good at math, but my theory is conceptually right, so all I need is for someone to express it in terms of equations".
16. 10 points for arguing that a current well-established theory is "only a theory", as if this were somehow a point against it.

I recognize most of them, but those two especially made me laugh!

InvalidID said:

I have issue with the first point made there. 'Confirmation bias' is unavoidable. Human beings will always form opinion about something in one way or other. Its just not possible to shut off mind and think nothing about it. Even when you are searching about it you must enter a phrase which completely or incompletely reflect your bias on the subject.

Kholdstare said:
I have issue with the first point made there. 'Confirmation bias' is unavoidable. Human beings will always form opinion about something in one way or other. Its just not possible to shut off mind and think nothing about it. Even when you are searching about it you must enter a phrase which completely or incompletely reflect your bias on the subject.

I think the solution is mainly: "seek evidence to the contrary for every opinion (especially ones you believe)."

10 points for mailing your theory to someone you don't know personally and asking them not to tell anyone else about it, for fear that your ideas will be stolen.

LOL. I remember a story by a studio musician keyboardist friend of mine about a guy who came into the studio demanding a signed recording contract before he even let anyone listen to one of his songs...becuase they were so great and groundbreaking they would obviously be stolen immediately by jealous people.

They just laughed him out of the studio and, of course, nobody has heard from him since. As a songwriter myself, I see this happening often. Neophyte songwriters get personally attached to the songs they write because they can't believe they could actually write one to begin with. Therefore, it must have come from some divine muse and therefore is a great work. This often changes over time and they end up becoming their own harshest critics.

In any case, I imagine developing a new scientific theory suffers from the same mentality.

belliott4488 said:

Thanks!

So... what score did the alleged crackpot get?

Mute said:
Actually, he didn't score too badly. He's not as far over the top as others I've seen, but he does suffer from the syndrome of saying things along the lines of, "I have a novel approach to the fundamental underpinnings of all of Physics, which explains a host of things the 'Standard Model' [his quotation marks] can only assert as assumptions." He doesn't post explanations, only challenges, e.g. for anyone to "prove the rest mass of the electron is a constant of motion from first principles. Or I shall just rip up your "Standard Model" as based on spurious assumptions and true in extremely limited context". He's kind of unpleasant.

He also loves to post repeated links to his arXiv article explaining how he does all this. When I challenged him to produce a citation to an article in a peer-reviewed journal, he was surprisingly able to do so. He referenced a paper coauthored by his mentor/adviser in Phys. Rev. Letters that seems to have provided the background for his own paper (http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v96/i6/e060503). I won't link his own arXiv paper, since I know that's discouraged here.

It's all based on the quantum brachistochrone problem, and for all I know, it's completely sound, but I couldn't get through the papers, so I'm at a loss to evaluate any of it myself.

20 points for emailing me and complaining about the crackpot index. (E.g., saying that it "suppresses original thinkers" or saying that I misspelled "Einstein" in item 8.)

I about died :rofl:

belliott4488 said:
Mute said:
Actually, he didn't score too badly. ...
Update: After announcing the he has been told "never to try to do physics again", he has now compared himself to Gallileo and Copernicus. 40 more points! :biggrin:

Kholdstare said:
Human beings will always form opinion about something in one way or other.

Are you sure about that?

Oh dear. I used to think I was a crackpot.

I got only 5 points on the Baez quiz.

1. A -5 point starting credit.
10. 10 points for pointing out that you have gone to school, as if this were evidence of sanity.

Is there anyone at PF that hasn't admitted to going to school?

OmCheeto said:
Is there anyone at PF that hasn't admitted to going to school?

I've never mentioned it here.

I got 30 points.

Careful with crackpots, you could be murdered!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22171039

In 1952, Bayard Peakes submitted a 33-page manuscript to a publication of the American Physical Society (APS). Peakes had an unusual idea. He didn't believe electrons existed, and he had what he thought was a good explanation of why. But the APS rejected his paper, deeming it "pointless".
Evidently, Peakes was fairly upset by this. He bought a gun and traveled to the APS offices in New York in search of the editor who had spurned him. When he found that the editor was not around, he shot the APS' 18-year-old secretary instead.

Seems like a normal story until this ...

"What we decided was that from then on, any member of the APS could submit an abstract on any subject to any meeting," said Brian Schwartz of the City University of New York, a longtime APS member and former chair of the society's Forum on Physics and Society.

Which made my day!

Adolph Hitler believed a theory (that he didn't create) that the Universe was created when huge chunks of ice fell into the Sun. The stars were large chunks of ice.

Maybe crackpotism isn't as harmless as it seems.

1. What is a "crackpot test" for web links?

A "crackpot test" for web links is a method used to evaluate the validity and credibility of a website or online source. It involves analyzing various factors such as the author's credentials, sources cited, and potential bias to determine the reliability of the information presented.

2. How do I perform a crackpot test on a web link?

To perform a crackpot test on a web link, you can use a checklist or set of criteria to evaluate the website. Some factors to consider include the author's expertise, the accuracy of information, and the presence of any potential biases or hidden agendas. You can also cross-reference the information with other reputable sources to verify its credibility.

3. What are some warning signs of a potentially unreliable web link?

Some warning signs of an unreliable web link include the lack of author information, exaggerated or sensationalized claims, and the use of emotional language or personal attacks. A website with numerous spelling and grammar errors can also be a red flag. Additionally, be cautious of websites that promote conspiracy theories or make unsubstantiated claims.

4. Can a crackpot test be applied to all web links?

Yes, a crackpot test can be applied to all web links. It is important to critically evaluate the information presented, regardless of the source. Even reputable websites may contain inaccurate or biased information, so it is crucial to use your judgment and conduct thorough research.

5. Why is it important to perform a crackpot test on web links?

Performing a crackpot test on web links is important because it helps to ensure that the information we consume is accurate and reliable. With the abundance of information available on the internet, it is crucial to be able to distinguish between credible and unreliable sources. By conducting a crackpot test, we can avoid spreading misinformation and making important decisions based on false or biased information.