Domain Registration Battle: Who Do Web Devs Trust?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Web
In summary, the conversation revolved around the various options for domain registrars for web developers. Many people mentioned using GoDaddy, citing its ease of use and trustworthiness, but also expressed frustration with its website and marketing tactics. Other options mentioned were Dreamhost, Dotster, and Register.com, with some users praising their services and others having negative experiences. Some users even discussed creating their own open source registrar management interface. Ultimately, it seems that personal preference and individual needs play a large role in choosing a domain registrar.
The battles continue between domain registrars. For those web developers out there, where do you go? I am almost 90% in godaddy. They are easy and trust worthly, but their website is terrible to navigate. Plus I don't enjoy their marketing tactics. So who is everyone else with?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
The battles continue between domain registrars. For those web developers out there, where do you go? I am almost 90% in godaddy. They are easy and trust worthly, but their website is terrible to navigate. Plus I don't enjoy their marketing tactics. So who is everyone else with?
I use Dreamhost for hosting and domain registration. I am extrememly pleased with the service and highly recommend it. The site is very helpful and provides wide expansion capabilities for both thte average user and the experienced web developer, and the blog and newsletter posts are humorous and intellectual :smile:

PF was actually on dreamhost year two :)

Yeah, Go Daddy for me too. The thing for me is self-service. Register.com was good back in the day but then they ripped everyone off.

I suppose what I should do is write an open source registrar management self-service web interface.

Personally is use Dotster (which last i heard acquired ZoneEdit DNS services which i also use coincidentaly). I don't have a strong preference towards one or another registrar, Dotster's the first one i used and i prefer to keep my domains in one place. In fact i don't even track the domains very much, they auto-renew and my DNS nameservers are elsewhere. I host my stuff on my home server.

Last edited:

1. What is a domain registration battle?

A domain registration battle refers to the competition between domain registrars to gain the trust and business of web developers and website owners. It involves offering attractive prices, user-friendly interfaces, and reliable services to convince customers to register their domain with a particular registrar.

2. Why do web developers care about domain registration battles?

Web developers care about domain registration battles because it directly affects their work and the websites they create. Choosing a trustworthy and efficient domain registrar can ensure the smooth running of their websites and save them time and money in the long run.

3. How do web developers determine which domain registrar to trust?

Web developers typically consider several factors when determining which domain registrar to trust. These include pricing, user experience and interface, customer support, security features, and additional services such as email hosting and website builders. They may also read reviews and ask for recommendations from other developers.

4. What are some popular domain registrars among web developers?

Some popular domain registrars among web developers include GoDaddy, Namecheap, Bluehost, Google Domains, and HostGator. These registrars have established a reputation for providing reliable services and competitive pricing, making them a top choice among developers.

5. Can web developers change their domain registrar?

Yes, web developers can change their domain registrar at any time. Most registrars offer easy transfer processes, allowing developers to move their domains to a new registrar without any downtime for their website. However, it is essential to research and carefully consider the new registrar before making the switch.