Solve Physics Hang Time Problem on Webassign with One Submission Left

• Thread starter omiz144
  • Start date
In summary, a 9th grade student from Massachusetts is struggling with a physics problem involving calculating hang time during a high-jump. They have used up all of their chances on an online test site, but they are determined to get it right in order to improve their assignment grade. They are using a formula from their physics book, but are unsure of which distance to use in the equation. After receiving help from other forum members, they realize they need to multiply their answer by 2 to account for the entire journey of the high-jump.
omiz144
Hello everyone. I am a 9th grade student in Massachusetts. I am currently taking Physics. For an assignment, we are sometimes given problems to do on an online-test site called Webassign. I am having a big problem on one of my questions. For this question, we are given 5 chances to get it right. I only have one chance left to get it right and I REALLY need your help since this is the difference between an 83 and a 92 for this assignment. The question is...

Calculate a person's hang time if he moves horizontally 4 m during a 1.23 m high-jump.

AND

What is his hang time if he moves 8 m horizontally during this jump?

This is a two part question. I have already gotten the first part incorrect and used up all of my submissions. But the second part I have one chance left.

I keep getting 0.501 seconds which the program is telling me incorrect. I am using the formula for hang time which I think is...

t= the square root of 2d/g

PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME IT IS DUE IN ABOUT 3 HOURS!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi omiz and welcome to the forums,

For future reference there are Homework Forums specifically for answering such questions. Now to your question. The formula you are using is almost, but not quite correct. Can I ask how you obtained this equation?

Oops...sorry I did not know there was a homework help forum.

I attained the formula from my physics book

Conceptual Physics: tenth edition

It is one of Paul G. Hewitt's books.

Are you going to help me on this problem or should I go to the H/W forums?

Last edited:
Hang Time Trouble. PLEASE READ

Homework Statement

Calculate a person's hang time if he moves horizontally 4 m during a 1.23 m high-jump. What is his hang time if he moves 8 m horizontally during this jump?

Homework Equations

I need to know the correct formula for hang time!

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried and tried and I keep getting 0.501 seconds! I am using a program called Webassign for homework and I only have one more chance to get this problem right! Please Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't a "formula for hang time". Show us what you tried, so we can tell you what's wrong with it.

My physics book, "Conceptual Physics: tenth edition" says the formula for hang time is...

t = the square root of 2d/g

The only problem is which d to use. I have two d's in both cases. However I am fairly sure I am supposed to use 1.23m as the d since the horizontal distance shouldn't matter.

Perpendicular vectors are independent of each other, youve got that right. Youre supposed to use the distance that's in the direction of acceleration, so all that's left is to plug 1.23 in

I think I figured it out. In order to get the hang time, I need to multiply my answer, 0.501 by 2. I was only calculating the hang time for the jump up, and not for the entire trip.

By "hang time" do you mean the time it takes for your object to fall?

What is Webassign?

Webassign is an online instructional system used by educational institutions to deliver and manage assignments, quizzes, and exams.

How does Webassign work?

Webassign allows instructors to create and assign online homework and assessments, which are then completed by students and automatically graded by the system.

What is the purpose of Webassign?

The purpose of Webassign is to provide a convenient and efficient way for instructors to assign and grade homework and assessments, as well as for students to complete and submit these assignments.

Is Webassign free to use?

Webassign is not free to use, as it is a paid subscription service used by educational institutions. However, some institutions may offer access to Webassign as part of their course materials or tuition fees.

Can Webassign be used for all subjects and levels?

Webassign can be used for a variety of subjects and levels, including math, science, engineering, and more. However, it may not be suitable for all subjects or teaching styles, so it is best to consult with your institution or instructor to determine if Webassign is a suitable tool for your course.