Calculating Webcam Focal Length and Distortion: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary: I think you're confused as to the technical meaning of 'focal length' in photography.Webcams typically have a focal length of about 2.8 mm to 8 mm.
joeyar
Is there a formula for calculating the required focal length for a webcam given the width of the field of view and the distance away from the subject the camera is?

Also is there a relationship between the focal length of a webcam and the 'fish-eyedness' or distortion of the picture?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Most webcams say the specs right around the lens, so you shouldn't need to calculate anything if you just want to know what is focal length is.

No, I want to know what focal length webcam I will need to fit an object of a given width from a given distance away into shot

joeyar said:
No, I want to know what focal length webcam I will need to fit an object of a given width from a given distance away into shot

I think you're confused as to the technical meaning of 'focal length' in photography

joeyar said:
That's not quite enough, you would also need to know the size of the imaging chip.

joeyar said:
Is there a formula for calculating the required focal length for a webcam given the width of the field of view and the distance away from the subject the camera is?

Yes of course, because the triangle formed between the imaging plane (having a distance f) is similar to the triangle formed by the view frustum. f = focal length
d = distance to object
W = desired width of viewable area at distance to object
w = width of imaging plane (CCD size)

(W/2) / d = (w/2) / f

So,

f = (w/2) / ((W/2) / d)
= w*d / W

Of course, you need to know w but this should be something you can look up in the camera specifications. Focal length is adjustable.

Also is there a relationship between the focal length of a webcam and the 'fish-eyedness' or distortion of the picture?

Yes, radial distortion is more pronounced with wider field of view. However radial distortion is an effect of low quality lenses so it doesn't follow a particular geometric relationship. Typically removing for radial distortion requires calibration against known images of straight lines and then minimizing some energy function to find the radial coefficients that cause the lines to appear straight, which can then be used to apply an inverse transformation to undo the effects in future images.

junglebeast said:
w = width of imaging plane (CCD size)
Sensor size specifications are misleading:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0210/02100402sensorsizes.asp

Also there's no guarantee that a camcorder claimed sensor size of 1/3" is really 4.8 by 3.6 mm (if the camcorder has a 4:3 sensor size). I have a Sony HC1 HDV camcorder that claims a sensor size of 1/3" and focal length of 5.1 to 51 mm. The Sony specs also includes 4 different 35 mm "equivalents". None of the specs correspond to what I acually see, which is a viewing angle that ranges from about 45 degrees down to 4.7 degrees ("10x" optical zoom lens).

1. What is the focal length of a webcam?

The focal length of a webcam is the distance between the lens and the image sensor when the lens is focused on infinity. It is typically measured in millimeters (mm).

2. How do I calculate the focal length of my webcam?

To calculate the focal length of your webcam, you will need to take a picture of a known object at a known distance and measure the distance from the lens to the object. Then, use the formula f = D * S / d, where f is the focal length, D is the known distance, S is the size of the object in the image, and d is the distance from the lens to the image sensor.

3. What is distortion in a webcam?

Distortion in a webcam refers to the way in which the lens bends light, causing straight lines to appear curved in the image. There are two types of distortion: barrel distortion, which causes lines to curve outwards from the center of the image, and pincushion distortion, which causes lines to curve inwards towards the center of the image.

4. How do I measure distortion in my webcam?

To measure distortion in your webcam, you will need to take a picture of a grid or other known object with straight lines. Then, use a software program or online tool to compare the lines in the image to the actual object. The percentage of difference between the lines is the amount of distortion present in your webcam.

5. How can I correct distortion in my webcam?

There are a few ways to correct distortion in a webcam. One option is to use software or online tools to digitally correct the distortion in the image. Another option is to physically adjust the lens of the webcam to reduce the amount of distortion. Additionally, choosing a high-quality webcam with a low distortion lens can also help to minimize distortion in your images.