Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weber Davis Solar Wind Model

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1

JvD

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here had any experience (preferably intimate) with the Weber-Davis solar wind model, i.e. : http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?db_key=AST&bibcode=1967ApJ...148..217W&letter=0&classic=YES&defaultprint=YES&whole_paper=YES&page=217&epage=217&send=Send+PDF&filetype=.pdf [Broken]

I'm currently usuing their results on a related project and I'm in need of some help!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2015 #2
    What is your problem specifically?

4. Mar 7, 2015 #3

JvD

Integrating (22) to get (24) (or a variation of).

The problem is that, after making the substitution and reducing the function to only u and r (as per the text below (22)), the integral seems paradoxically impossible. That is, I'm ultimately, via way of transcendental equation, looking to express u (which is in itself a function of r, i.e. u=u(r)) in terms of r, but in order to integrate (22) you need to know u, creating an infinite loop of head-against-the-wall confusion.

My best guess is to estimate u and iterate, but I'm really not sure

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook