Websites: xdot, xdoubledot symbols?

In summary, The conversation discusses using LaTeX as a better option for typesetting scientific papers and obtaining symbols such as xdot and xdoubledot. It also mentions using LyX as a beginner-friendly alternative. There is a brief mention of using diacritical marks for vowels and the need for learning LaTeX for symbols not included in word processing software.
neurocomp2003
Hey,
was wondering if anyone knows of any fonts that hold the xdot, xdoubledot symbols one would use int physics? If not i guess i got to use the image methods.
best

Computer science news on Phys.org
neurocomp2003 said:
Hey,
was wondering if anyone knows of any fonts that hold the xdot, xdoubledot symbols one would use int physics? If not i guess i got to use the image methods.
best

If you are in the sciences, you should be using LaTeX to typeset your papers. Much better layout and you get all the symbols you need.

check it out, \dot{x} gives you xdot, and \ddot{x} gets you xdoubledot

It also makes bibliography management and citation insertion super easy.

if you are a super noob to it, you can use LyX: http://www.home.zonnet.nl/rareitsma/lyx/ [Broken]

as for word, I dunno. don't use it for writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex] \dot{x} \ddot{x} \dot{y} [/tex]

whats that written in yomamma? or is it a gif?

LaTeX...

If you're working with letters that are vowels, you could just use standard diacritical marks, otherwise I have to agree with the consensus that LaTeX is best.

yeah the x and theta don't have the marks so i guess i got to learn latex

1. What do the xdot and xdoubledot symbols represent on a website?

The xdot (·) and xdoubledot (¨) symbols are typically used as separators or delimiters on websites. They can be used to indicate a break in content or to separate different sections or elements on a webpage.

2. How do I type the xdot and xdoubledot symbols on a website?

The xdot symbol (·) can be typed by pressing the "Alt" key and the number "0183" on the numeric keypad. The xdoubledot symbol (¨) can be typed by pressing the "Alt" key and the number "0252" on the numeric keypad. Alternatively, you can copy and paste the symbols from a character map or special character tool.

3. Are the xdot and xdoubledot symbols the same on all websites?

No, the appearance of these symbols may vary depending on the font used on the website. However, they will still serve the same function as separators or delimiters.

4. Can I use the xdot and xdoubledot symbols in my website's code?

Yes, you can use these symbols in your website's HTML or CSS code. However, it is important to note that they are not standard HTML entities, so they may not be supported by all browsers.

5. Is there a specific meaning or use for the xdot and xdoubledot symbols on a website?

No, these symbols do not have a specific meaning or use on websites. They are primarily used as separators or delimiters, but their use can vary depending on the context and design of the website.