1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wedge-like Problem

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    Hey, guys! Not really my homework question, I am long past my days of studying physics (I stumbled upon this problem doing some engineering researches) but still i put it here cause it should be rather easy. Here is the picture I made:
    http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7700/riddlew.png [Broken]

Basically, i've got a block of a known mass, I know friction factor and contacting area, thus I am able to calculate Friction force being exerted upon moving this block. Block is being moved by a cone. I need to know a formula for a Force needed to be applied to a cone to move the block. Thank you very much!

P.S. As for my own efforts of solving, it comes down to this: I realize I have to project and equate projection of cone force to friction force but here it got a bit tricky for me. I'm very rusty in mechanics and I'm not really sure if i should project forces in this system on the side of the cone or on the surface normal of the cone side.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2
    Maybe I posted in the wrong forum?
  4. Oct 1, 2010 #3
    C'mon guys
  5. Sep 11, 2011 #4
    Well, I am not gonna let it go that easy.
    F=Ffriction*tan(alpha) or F=friction factor*block's mass*tan(alpha). Am I correct?

P.S. Oh gosh i just realised i totally missed friction between cone and block. :( Guys, I really need your help! Thank you in advance.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook