Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Wedge-like Problem

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    Hey, guys! Not really my homework question, I am long past my days of studying physics (I stumbled upon this problem doing some engineering researches) but still i put it here cause it should be rather easy. Here is the picture I made:
    http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7700/riddlew.png [Broken]

Basically, i've got a block of a known mass, I know friction factor and contacting area, thus I am able to calculate Friction force being exerted upon moving this block. Block is being moved by a cone. I need to know a formula for a Force needed to be applied to a cone to move the block. Thank you very much!

P.S. As for my own efforts of solving, it comes down to this: I realize I have to project and equate projection of cone force to friction force but here it got a bit tricky for me. I'm very rusty in mechanics and I'm not really sure if i should project forces in this system on the side of the cone or on the surface normal of the cone side.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2
    Maybe I posted in the wrong forum?

4. Oct 1, 2010 #3
    C'mon guys

5. Sep 11, 2011 #4
    Well, I am not gonna let it go that easy.
    F=Ffriction*tan(alpha) or F=friction factor*block's mass*tan(alpha). Am I correct?

P.S. Oh gosh i just realised i totally missed friction between cone and block. :( Guys, I really need your help! Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook