1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wedge Problem

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    When I started looking into this problem I thought it would be rather easy. As I got into it further I found it getting more difficult. I will explain the image first. These components are circular, but I have unwrapped them for simplification. The block on the top is a complete ring. Force F1 is a force due to torque. The lower section can be considered ground. The wedge has a small preload that is applied toward the top portion(the ring). What I am trying to solve for is the angle of the wedge. When a force(due to torque) is applied to the top portion(the ring), what angle will keep any component from sliding when F1 is applied?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2
    Do you mean for F1 to be normal to the view, as in a pulley or gear clamp?
  4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    F1 is just the force due to torque. It is tangent to the ring, or normal to the view.

Attached Files:

5. Apr 17, 2008 #4
    OK. So, there is no simple answer. For a given combination of wedge angle, preload, and materials, there will be a maximum torque. Vary any one and the answer varies. Are you familiar with the products like Ringfeder keyless shaft locks?
  6. Apr 18, 2008 #5
    No I have not heard of Ringfeder?
    Do you know of anywhere I can find help with this.
  7. Apr 18, 2008 #6
    After I had a look at the Ringfeder, I have found it to be different. The Ringfeder wedge is axial, my problem has a radial wedge. As far as materials having an effect on maximum torque, I have came to the conclusion that material doesn't matter. If I apply the same torque to two different material and expand an extremely hard material 0.1mm radially and a not so hard material 0.25mm, would they not both contain the same amount of energy when expanded.
  8. Apr 18, 2008 #7
    OK, I misunderstood your problem since I thought you were using axial wedging. Your wedges are radial, something like a Bendix? Are you specifying anything about the coefficients of friction?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?