Solving the Sliding Component Problem

In summary: No, I am not specifying anything about the coefficients of friction.OK.In summary, the problem has a radial wedge and there is no simple answer to finding the angle of the wedge.
miked
When I started looking into this problem I thought it would be rather easy. As I got into it further I found it getting more difficult. I will explain the image first. These components are circular, but I have unwrapped them for simplification. The block on the top is a complete ring. Force F1 is a force due to torque. The lower section can be considered ground. The wedge has a small preload that is applied toward the top portion(the ring). What I am trying to solve for is the angle of the wedge. When a force(due to torque) is applied to the top portion(the ring), what angle will keep any component from sliding when F1 is applied?

Attachments

• wedge.jpg
    wedge.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean for F1 to be normal to the view, as in a pulley or gear clamp?

F1 is just the force due to torque. It is tangent to the ring, or normal to the view.

Attachments

• force.jpg
    force.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 372
OK. So, there is no simple answer. For a given combination of wedge angle, preload, and materials, there will be a maximum torque. Vary anyone and the answer varies. Are you familiar with the products like Ringfeder keyless shaft locks?

No I have not heard of Ringfeder?
Do you know of anywhere I can find help with this.

After I had a look at the Ringfeder, I have found it to be different. The Ringfeder wedge is axial, my problem has a radial wedge. As far as materials having an effect on maximum torque, I have came to the conclusion that material doesn't matter. If I apply the same torque to two different material and expand an extremely hard material 0.1mm radially and a not so hard material 0.25mm, would they not both contain the same amount of energy when expanded.

OK, I misunderstood your problem since I thought you were using axial wedging. Your wedges are radial, something like a Bendix? Are you specifying anything about the coefficients of friction?

1. What is the sliding component problem?

The sliding component problem refers to the difficulty in designing and implementing a system that allows two or more components to slide smoothly and accurately against each other without jamming or slipping.

2. Why is solving the sliding component problem important?

Solving the sliding component problem is important because it is a crucial aspect in the design and functionality of many mechanical systems, such as engines, gears, and machinery. A poorly designed sliding component system can result in decreased performance, increased wear and tear, and even potential safety hazards.

3. What are the main challenges in solving the sliding component problem?

The main challenges in solving the sliding component problem include finding a balance between the necessary amount of friction and the smoothness of movement, reducing wear and tear on the components, and ensuring consistent and accurate sliding motion over time.

4. What are some approaches to solving the sliding component problem?

There are several approaches to solving the sliding component problem, including using lubricants, implementing precise machining and manufacturing techniques, incorporating bearings or other sliding mechanisms, and designing the components with specific shapes and materials to reduce friction.

5. How can we test the effectiveness of solutions to the sliding component problem?

The effectiveness of solutions to the sliding component problem can be tested through various methods, such as measuring friction and wear over time, conducting simulations and stress tests, and performing real-world experiments to observe the performance and durability of the sliding system.