Proving Wedge Product Property for Alternating Tensors

I'm sorry, I think you may have misunderstood me. Let me try to clarify. In your example, you have k=3 and l=7, so you are dealing with elements of \Lambda^{3}(V) and \Lambda^{7}(V). In order to get the result you want, you need to swap the a_k (which is in \Lambda^{3}(V)) with each of the b_j (which are in \Lambda^{7}(V)). The formula that I gave you tells you that when you do this, you will pick up a factor of (-1)^{3\cdot 7} = (-1)^{21}. However, you only need to swap the elements once in order to
ak416
This has to do with the wedge product ^ on alternating tensors. I can't seem to prove w ^ n = (-1)^kl * n ^ w. where w is a k alternating tensor and n is an l alternating tensor.

I know w ^ n = (k+l)!/(k! l!) * Alt(w x n) where x is the tensor product.
Now, Alt(wxn) (v_1,...,v_k+l) = 1/(k+l)! * (sum over all s in Sk) ( sgn(s) * (w x n) (v_s(1),...,v_s(k+l) )
= 1/(k+l)! * (sum over all s in Sk) ( sgn(s) * (n x w) (v_s(k+1),...,v_s(k+l),v_s(1),...,v_s(k)) )

Note Sk is the set of all permutations of the numbers 1,...,k.

Now if I let s' be the permutation such that
Alt(w x n) = 1/(k+l)! * (sum over all s in Sk) ( sgn(s) * (n x w) (v_s'(1),...,v_s'(k+l)) )
then shouldn't Alt(w x n) = 1/(k+l)! * (sum over all s' in Sk) ( (-1)^m * sgn(s') * (n x w) (v_s'(1),...,v_s'(k+l)) )

where m is the number of transpositions needed to transform (k+1,...,k+l,1,...,k) to (1,...,k+l). Because if this is true then doesn't the property imply that m = l*k. And this isn't true. So what am i doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
isn that more or less the definition of alternating?

definition of an alternating tensor is that when you swap any of its input vectors, you get the same result but times negative one. (like the determinant).

It's not right to use w ^ n = (k+l)!/(k! l!) * Alt(w x n), because w and n are already forms, or alternative tensors (not the tensor products!).
It is easy to prove your formula using just the bases of rank k and l and the simple relation dx^i ^ dx^j=-dx^j ^ dx^i.

Last edited:
think about it, if you have a pair of vectors of form (a1,...,ak,.b1,...,bl) and you rearrange it to be of form (b1,...bl,a1,...ak) how many interchanges jhave you made? if the aNSWER IS KL, THEN YOU ARE DONE.

ya i tried that. But take for example k = 3, l = 7.
so you have (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11) you want (5,6,7,9,9,10,11,1,2,3,4)
step 1: transform this to (8,9,10,11,5,6,7,1,2,3,4) (4 interchanges)
step 2: transform to (5,6,7,11,8,9,10,1,2,3,4) (3 interchanges)
step 3: transform to (5,6,7,8,11,9,10,1,2,3,4) (1 interchange)
step 3: transform to (5,6,7,8,9,11,10,1,2,3,4) (1 interchange)
step 3: transform to (5,6,7,8,9,10,11,1,2,3,4) (1 interchange)

total: 10 interchanges
k*l = 21

what is wrong with this counterexample?

Suppose that you have indices [itex](a_1,\ldots,a_k,b_1,\ldots,b_l)[/itex] and that we want to swap around the indices [itex]b_1[/itex] and [itex]a_k[/itex]. Because of the antisymmetry we have

[tex](a_1,\ldots,a_k,b_1,\ldots,b_l) = (-1)(a_1,\ldots,b_1,a_k,\ldots,b_l)[/tex]

Agreed? Now suppose that we want to go one further and move [itex]b_1[/itex] into the position of [itex]a_{k-1}[/itex]:

[tex](a_1,\ldots,a_k,b_1,\ldots,b_l) = (-1)(a_1,\ldots,a_{k-1},b_1,a_k,\ldots,b_l) = (-1)^2(a_1,\ldots,b_1,a_{k-1},a_k,\ldots,b_l)[/tex]

So, we've moved [itex]b_1[/itex] two places to the left and obtained a factor of [itex](-1)^2[/itex]. In fact, we can move [itex]b_1[/itex] [itex]k[/itex] places to the left to get

[tex](a_1,\ldots,a_k,b_1,\ldots,b_l) = (-1)^k(b_1,a_1,\ldots,a_k,b_2,\ldots,b_l)[/tex]

We've now managed to move one of the [itex]b[/itex] indices completely to the left. However, we'd also like to move the rest of them. It doesn't take a great deal of thought to convince yourself that if you also now move [itex]b_2[/itex] to the left by [itex]k[/itex] places you obtain

[tex](a_1,\ldots,a_k,b_1,\ldots,b_l) = (-1)^{2k}(b_1,b_2,a_1,\ldots,a_k,b_3,\ldots,b_l)[/tex]

So if you move two of the [itex]b[/itex] indices to the left you get a factor of [itex](-1)^{2k}[/itex]. In fact, if you move all [itex]l[/itex] of the [itex]b[/itex] indices to the left (keeping them in their original order), it should then be straightforward to see that you get

[tex](a_1,\ldots,a_k,b_1,\ldots,b_l) = (-1)^{l\cdot k}(b_1,\ldots,b_l,a_1,\ldots,a_k)[/tex]

Does this help you to see what's going on when you swap around the indices?

If you now return to the original question that you asked, suppose that we denote the space of [itex]k[/itex]-forms over some space [itex]V[/itex] by [itex]\Lambda^k(V)[/itex]. Then, given [itex]\alpha\in\Lambda^k(V)[/itex] and [itex]\beta\in\Lambda^l(V)[/itex], we know from the definition of the wedge product that [itex]\alpha\wedge\beta\in\Lambda^{k+l}(V)[/itex]. The important thing about differential forms is that they are simply machines into which you feed vectors. For example, if you have a [itex]k[/itex]-form [itex]\alpha[/itex], then you can get a number out of it by letting it act on [itex]k[/itex] vectors [itex]X_{(1)},\ldots,X_{(k)}[/itex]:

[tex]\alpha:(X_{(1)},\ldots,X_{(k)})\mapsto\alpha(X_{(1)},\ldots,X_{(k)}) \in \mathbb{F}[/tex]

where I've denoted a typical field by [itex]\mathbb{F}[/itex]. In physics, we're usually interested in the case where [itex]\mathbb{F}=\mathbb{R}[/itex]. However, the differential form has the important property that if you swap around the order of any two of the input vectors, then you get a factor of (-1). For example,

[tex]\alpha(X_{(1)},X_{(2)},\ldots,X_{(k)}) =(-1) \alpha(X_{(2)},X_{(1)},\ldots,X_{(k)})[/tex]

This is exactly analogous to what I said at the start about swapping around indices. Knowing this, it's really easy to see that you have the desired result:

[tex]\alpha\wedge\beta = (-1)^{k\cdot l}\beta\wedge\alpha[/tex]

Last edited:
ak416 said:
ya i tried that. But take for example k = 3, l = 7.
so you have (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11) you want (5,6,7,9,9,10,11,1,2,3,4)
step 1: transform this to (8,9,10,11,5,6,7,1,2,3,4) (4 interchanges)
step 2: transform to (5,6,7,11,8,9,10,1,2,3,4) (3 interchanges)
step 3: transform to (5,6,7,8,11,9,10,1,2,3,4) (1 interchange)
step 3: transform to (5,6,7,8,9,11,10,1,2,3,4) (1 interchange)
step 3: transform to (5,6,7,8,9,10,11,1,2,3,4) (1 interchange)

total: 10 interchanges
k*l = 21
what is wrong with this counterexample?

It's not quite right
you have k = 3, l = 8 or (1,2,3)^(4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11) you want (4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11)^(1,2,3).
Remember (1,2,3) and (4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11) are 3-form and 7-form, or (1,2,3) is (1^2^3) and (4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11) is (4^5^6^7^8^9^10^11).

Step 1 : you move 4 to the left throught the form (1^2^3) and each time you have to change the sign. The sign will be (-1)^3 (here "^" is power)
Step 2 : repeat this procedure for 5,6,...,11. The total sing will be (-1)^(3 *8). In other words (-1)^(k*l).

Look,
coalquay404 has discribed it in more general way.

Last edited:
whoops did i just say 7+3 = 11. Ok i understand now coolquay. My method isn't really a counterexample because 8*3 = 24 and it is still even like 10. Your way of interchanging only the entries beside each other is good because it proves that its l*k interchanges. thanks.

if you have a pair of vectors of form (a1,...,ak,.b1,...,bl) and you rearrange it to be of form (b1,...bl,a1,...ak), then each one of the l b's has moved past the k a's. done.

mathwonk said:
if you have a pair of vectors of form (a1,...,ak,.b1,...,bl) and you rearrange it to be of form (b1,...bl,a1,...ak), then each one of the l b's has moved past the k a's. done.

What do you mean by a "pair" of vectors? Each of the indices represents one vector input into the [itex](k+l)[/itex]-form so there are [itex]k+l[/itex] vectors involved, not just a pair.

What is the Wedge Product Property?

The Wedge Product Property, also known as the Exterior Product Property, is a mathematical concept used in linear algebra and differential geometry. It is used to define a product between two vectors, resulting in a new vector that is perpendicular to both original vectors. This product is also referred to as the exterior product or outer product.

How is the Wedge Product Property calculated?

The Wedge Product is calculated by taking the cross product of two vectors and then multiplying the magnitude of the cross product by the sine of the angle between the two vectors. The resulting vector is perpendicular to both original vectors and is represented by the symbol ∧.

What is the significance of the Wedge Product Property?

The Wedge Product Property is significant because it allows for the representation of geometric concepts such as area and volume in higher dimensions. It also plays a crucial role in differential forms and multivariable calculus, as well as in the study of manifolds and vector fields.

How is the Wedge Product Property used in physics?

In physics, the Wedge Product Property is used to define the cross product of two vectors in three-dimensional space. It is also used in electromagnetic theory, where it is used to define the Hodge star operator, which relates electric and magnetic fields.

What are some real-world applications of the Wedge Product Property?

The Wedge Product Property has various real-world applications, such as computer graphics, robotics, and computer vision, where it is used for 3D modeling and image processing. It is also used in mechanics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics to represent physical quantities and relationships between them.