Antisymmetrization in Wedge Product: Exploring $$\alpha \Lambda \beta$$

In summary: I think it should be$$(\omega_1 \wedge \omega_2)(\vec{v}_1,\ldots,\vec{v}_p,\vec{v}_{p+1},\ldots,\vec{v}_{p+q})=\sum_{\tau \in S_{p+q}} \frac{\text{sign}(\tau)}{p! q!} \omega_1((\vec{v}_{\tau(1)},\ldots,\vec{v}_{\tau(p)}) \omega_2(\vec{v}_{\tau(p+1)},\ldots,\vec{v}_{\tau(p+q)})).In summary, the wedge product is a
PhyAmateur
If I want to take the wedge product of $$\alpha = a_i\theta^i $$ and $$\beta = b_j\theta^j$$ I get after applying antisymmetrization,$$ \alpha \Lambda \beta = \frac{1}{2}(a_ib_j - a_jb_i)\theta^i\theta^j$$

My question is it seems to me that antisymmetrization technique doesn't apply to the basis $$\theta^i , \theta^j$$ right? Is it that the wedge product antisymmetrization jumps over those basis only affecting the components? Or is there something I am missing?

Thanks![PLAIN]http://physics.stackexchange...rization-and-antisymmetrization-combinatorics[/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
##\alpha \wedge \beta = \alpha_i \beta_j \theta^i \wedge \theta^j = \frac{1}{2}\alpha_i \beta_j (\theta^i \theta^j - \theta^j \theta^i) = \frac{1}{2}(\alpha_i \beta_j - \alpha_j \beta_i)\theta^i \theta^j ## is how the wedge product works on the basis 1-forms.

Thank you for the reply, I guess you meant $$a_i , b_j $$ instead of $$\alpha_i , \beta_j$$?

And so now, what I said in my question was totally wrong, it means according to this that it works on the basis rather than on the components. And then we flip indices accordingly, right?

Shouldn't it be (concerning the factors 1/2):
[tex]\alpha \wedge \beta=\alpha_i \beta_j \Theta^{i} \wedge \Theta^{j}=\frac{1}{2} (\alpha_i \beta_j - \alpha_j \beta_i) \Theta^{i} \wedge \Theta^{j} = (\alpha_i \beta_j-\alpha_j \beta_i) \Theta^{i} \otimes \Theta^{j}.[/tex]

PhyAmateur said:
If I want to take the wedge product of $$\alpha = a_i\theta^i $$ and $$\beta = b_j\theta^j$$ I get after applying antisymmetrization,$$ \alpha \Lambda \beta = \frac{1}{2}(a_ib_j - a_jb_i)\theta^i\theta^j$$

My question is it seems to me that antisymmetrization technique doesn't apply to the basis $$\theta^i , \theta^j$$ right? Is it that the wedge product antisymmetrization jumps over those basis only affecting the components? Or is there something I am missing?

Thanks!
I'm not sure what the question is. I'd interpret what you wrote as the wedge product of a vector with a multiple of itself, which would be zero.

No, [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are different vectors. Note that the Einstein summation convention is used here, and [itex]\Theta^j[/itex] is a basis of the dual space (space of linear forms).

@vanhees71 thanks for your reply. But where are the components$$ a_i , b_j $$ And is there a general rule to this wedge product?

I called them [itex]\alpha_i[/itex] and [itex]\beta_j[/itex]. Why should I introduce more symbols?

The wedge product is defined as follows. If you have two antisymmetric tensors [itex]\omega_1[/itex] and [itex]\omega_2[/itex], i.e., antisymmetric linear mappings [itex]\omega_1:V^p \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]\omega_2:V^q \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] (also called [itex]p[/itex]- and [itex]q[/itex]-forms respectively), the wedge product is a [itex](p+q)[/itex] form which is defined by
[tex](\omega_1 \wedge \omega_2)(\vec{v}_1,\ldots,\vec{v}_p,\vec{v}_{p+1},\ldots,\vec{v}_{p+q})=\sum_{\tau \in S_{p+q}} \frac{\text{sign}(\tau)}{p! q!} \omega_1((\vec{v}_1,\ldots,\vec{v}_p) \omega_2(\vec{v}_{p+1},\ldots,\vec{v}_{p+q}).[/tex]
Here [itex]S_{p+q}[/itex] denotes the permutation of [itex](p+q)[/itex] elements.

Likes PhyAmateur
vanhees71 said:
I called them [itex]\alpha_i[/itex] and [itex]\beta_j[/itex]. Why should I introduce more symbols?

The wedge product is defined as follows. If you have two antisymmetric tensors [itex]\omega_1[/itex] and [itex]\omega_2[/itex], i.e., antisymmetric linear mappings [itex]\omega_1:V^p \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]\omega_2:V^q \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] (also called [itex]p[/itex]- and [itex]q[/itex]-forms respectively), the wedge product is a [itex](p+q)[/itex] form which is defined by
[tex](\omega_1 \wedge \omega_2)(\vec{v}_1,\ldots,\vec{v}_p,\vec{v}_{p+1},\ldots,\vec{v}_{p+q})=\sum_{\tau \in S_{p+q}} \frac{\text{sign}(\tau)}{p! q!} \omega_1((\vec{v}_1,\ldots,\vec{v}_p) \omega_2(\vec{v}_{p+1},\ldots,\vec{v}_{p+q}).[/tex]
Here [itex]S_{p+q}[/itex] denotes the permutation of [itex](p+q)[/itex] elements.

There's a mismatched parenthesis in the last expression here.

1. What is antisymmetrization in the context of wedge product?

Antisymmetrization is a mathematical operation that rearranges the terms in a product in a specific way. In the wedge product, it involves taking the product of two vectors and rearranging the terms so that they are in a specific order.

2. How is antisymmetrization different from other mathematical operations?

Antisymmetrization is different from other operations, such as addition or multiplication, because it involves rearranging terms instead of combining them. It is also closely related to the concept of permutation, which involves changing the order of elements in a set.

3. What is the purpose of using antisymmetrization in the wedge product?

The purpose of antisymmetrization in the wedge product is to ensure that the resulting product is antisymmetric, meaning that it changes sign when the order of the vectors is reversed. This is important in calculations involving differential forms and has applications in physics and engineering.

4. Can you give an example of how antisymmetrization works in the wedge product?

Sure, let's say we have two vectors, A and B, and we want to take their wedge product. The wedge product is defined as A ∧ B = AB - BA, but because of the antisymmetrization operation, we rearrange the terms to get A ∧ B = (AB - BA)/2. This ensures that the resulting product is antisymmetric.

5. What are some real-world applications of antisymmetrization in the wedge product?

Antisymmetrization in the wedge product has applications in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics. For example, it is used in the calculation of stress and strain tensors in mechanics and in the description of electromagnetic fields in physics.