Wedge Tensile Grip Design - UTM Testing Machine

In summary: There is a slot on the quill that the taper slides into. This is useful because the taper can be held in place while the drill bit is being drilled and then easily removed.
fede280385
TL;DR Summary
Desing of wedge tensile grip
Hello to all.
I am new at PF. I am very happy to be here now that I know you.

I am at the middle of a UTM (universal tensile machine) design. My machine is going to be a simple testing machine in which I only intent to measure the ultimate tensile strenght. That been said, I want to be as clear as I can be.

Part of the design includes the fabrication of the wedge tensile grips (or tensile clamp body). I have selected one design and it is the one with moving body and stationary jaws (you can see the attached pictures).

I need to know to continue with the design what is tha part marked in red and what is it used for, because I can not understand it.

Thank you all.
wedge grips.png

Hope you reply soon

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Maybe it has something to do with the way the jaws are released so the test piece can be withdrawn after the test. You may also need to observe that the test piece is properly inserted for the full length of the jaws.

A search with search terms tensile test machine wedge grips found a lot of information on wedge grips. You can also get good background information by searching self locking wedge, noting how self locking wedges differ from non-self locking wedges. and considering how they apply to wedge grips.

In the right figure, I believe one of the "holes" is a grease fitting and the other hole may be some kind of stop or end.

What I still can not figure out is the keyway in the left figure. What is it for?

Can you help me?

fede280385 said:
What I still can not figure out is the keyway in the left figure. What is it for?
It may be a slot for a flat taper used to separate the assembly. Take a look at the quill of a drill press that accepts a tapered drill shank or attachment.

1. What is a Wedge Tensile Grip Design?

A Wedge Tensile Grip Design is a type of grip used in Universal Testing Machines (UTMs) to hold specimens during tensile testing. It is designed with a wedge-shaped jaw and a clamping mechanism to securely hold the specimen in place.

2. How does a Wedge Tensile Grip Design work?

The Wedge Tensile Grip Design works by using a wedge-shaped jaw to apply force to the specimen. The clamping mechanism then tightens the grip, preventing the specimen from slipping or breaking during testing. This design allows for a more uniform distribution of force on the specimen, resulting in more accurate test results.

3. What materials can be tested using a Wedge Tensile Grip Design?

A Wedge Tensile Grip Design can be used to test a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, rubber, textiles, and composites. These grips are versatile and can be adjusted to accommodate different shapes and sizes of specimens.

4. What are the advantages of using a Wedge Tensile Grip Design?

One of the main advantages of using a Wedge Tensile Grip Design is its ability to hold specimens securely and evenly distribute force during testing. This results in more accurate and reliable test results. Additionally, these grips are easy to use and can be adjusted for different types of materials.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Wedge Tensile Grip Design?

While Wedge Tensile Grip Designs are versatile and widely used, they do have some limitations. They may not be suitable for very thin or delicate specimens, as the clamping mechanism can cause damage. Additionally, these grips may not be able to accommodate very large or irregularly shaped specimens.